Sufi so fine
The etymology for Sufi suggests the word comes from ṣafā (صفاء), which in Arabic means “purity”. And that should aptly describe the pure songs that we find in Sufi music.
I am not sure about the religious views of Sufism, and I am not sure if the songs I mention here can really be described as Sufi songs, given the great variance in what is considered as proper Sufi music, but I am completely mesmerized by these very earthy songs. They have this strange aura around them which keeps you (ok, me) listening to them again and again. So, here are some of my favorite Bollywood-kinda-Sufi songs.
- Kailash Kher — Teri Deewani, from the album Kailasa (2006)
2. Kailash Kher — Saiyyaan, from the album Jhoomo Re (2007)
3. A.R. Rahman — Khwaja Mere Khwaja, from the movie Jodhaa Akbar (2008)
4. Roopkumar Rathod — Maula Mere Maula, from the movie Anwar (2007)
5. Rabbi Shergill — Bulla ki jaane main kaun, from his debut album Rabbi (2004).
6. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan — Lagan laagi tum se man ki lagan, from the movie Papp (2003).
7. Kailash Kher — Allah ke bande, from the movie Waisa Bhi Hota Hai (2006)