17 1/2 Reasons to Keep on Living
- The sound of my husband’s breathing as he sleeps next to me.
- The feeling of sand between your toes on the beach.
- Standing in the shower and letting the warm water cascade over your body.
- Birdsong first thing in the morning.
- The smell of fresh cut grass on a summer afternoon.
- Biting into a pippin apple and letting the sweet, tart taste fill your mouth.
- Watching a child’s eyes light up as they open a present.
- The touch of my husband’s hand on my shoulder when I’m afraid of what the future holds.
- The taste of popcorn at the movies.
- The glow of candles in the darkness.
- Clothes picking up the breeze on a clothesline.
- Miles Davis.
- Recalling your first kiss.
- A kind smile from a stranger.
- The sight of a green shoot rising from a crack in a sidewalk.
- The jingling noise my cat’s collar makes as she pads around the house.
- A day when I forget to care that I don’t know who I am or what I’m doing.
17 ½. The sound of rain pattering on the roof.
Sunshine Mugrabi is the author of “When My Boyfriend Was a Girl,” which The Advocate called a “must read.”
Photo credit: © Jorge Royan / http://www.royan.com.ar, via Wikimedia Commons