PRINCE2 Foundation is the basic level of PRINCE2 certification that confirms the overall understanding, familiarity with the PRINCE2 vocabulary it is therefore a good idea that all project stakeholders should have the opportunity to follow a PRINCE2 Foundation training.
PRINCE2 has two certification levels, the Foundation and Practitioner level you need to take the PRINCE2 Fondation exam before you can take the Practitioner exam. There are some exception eg: If you have a PMP certification. The PRINCE2 Foundation exam is based on the 2017 edition of Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2.
In order to pass the PRINCE2 Foundation exam, you should be able to:
- Describe the purpose and major content of all major roles in a PRINCE2 project eg: Executive, Project Manager, Senior User,..
- Have a good solid overview of the seven principles, the seven themes and the seven processes.
- Know which management products are input to, and output from the seven processes.
- Know the main purpose, and key contents of the major management products. (e.g.: Project Brief, Business Case, Product Description,.)
- Know the relationships between processes, deliverables, roles and the management dimensions of a project.
PRINCE2 Foundation Exam
- Multiple choice (Choose A, B, C or D)
- 75 questions per paper
- 5 questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 available) — 50%
- 1 hour duration
Taking the exam
- The PRINCE2 Foundation exam can be taken online or at any Authorized Training Organization (ATO).
- This online exam option has been available since 2014 this is now the most common way to take the exam.
- Your computer webcam is used to monitor you during the exam or an in-room invigilator if you are taking the exam at an ATO.
- See page: How does the Online Monitored Exam Works?
PRINCE2 Foundation Sample Exams
- Each PRINCE2 Training company and online training course provides two exam PRINCE2 Foundation Papers
- Some training companies also offer a PRINCE2 Foundation Exam Simulator: Click here for an example
Ideas to get an introduction to PRINCE2