A file with spaces instead of tabs is 5–15% larger and the time taken to load such page is at least 10% slower than it should have been because of spaces used.
- allow mistakes to be more noticeable, it’s annoying to micro manage to spaces.
- are consistent, they are only used for indentation, unless you are commenting wrong.
- are customizable, you can specify in the options of the editor how wide they are.
- are more productive, why type 2–4 spaces when I can hit 1 tab.
- take less size than multiple spaces.
- take less time to go through.