17 Easy Ways To Be Awesome This Week!
Sometimes we’re so busy, face-down on our phones or worrying about week ahead that we forget that a minute of our time, a smile, or even sharing a couple of dollars can change the course of someone else’s day.
As spring fast approaches there is an extra sense of optimism in the air and performing random acts of kindness feels more compelling than ever.
It is a truly wonderful thing that when we do something kind, we reap the rewards too. Hada Bejar said so beautifully about kindness that: “The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.”
Here are 17 easy ways to be more awesome this week:
- Compliment someone! Like your colleague’s new jacket? Someone’s hair look nice? Tell them! The boost this gives will impact you both.
- When you buy your coffee, pay an extra $4 and say you would like to cover the next patron’s. This will make someone’s morning, guaranteed!
- Smile! A smile from a stranger on the street or on the subway can remind us that the world is a kind and loving place.
- Text an old friend. A short text remembering something funny you guys did or requesting a fun get together will generate a laugh and an immediate mood boost!
- Say thank you with feeling. Whatever it is, a speedy response to an email, another person letting you take the next cab, someone holding the elevator for you, say thank you like you mean it!
- Be the person who does the act in #5! And don’t do it for the thank you. It’s the giving that counts.
- Lift the mood. Does someone have the Monday blues? Is it raining today? Sometimes a little joke, “Love Mondays!” or “Beautiful day!” can just keep it real, folks.
- Dance! Put on your favorite Spotify playlist and just be light and move your body — in your kitchen, your car, your office — wherever.
- Help someone. Whether it’s helping someone with a stroller down the stairs, letting someone cut in line who looks hurried, or even just waiting to hold a door open for the person behind you… do it happily.
- Wear something bright! Why does our black stuff always get used first? Orange skirt? Lovely! Yellow belt? Yes please! Red coat? Don’t mind if I do! Color is a free and easy way to brighten things up.
- Praise someone publicly. In a meeting or a group email — thank someone or highlight something good they did. They will remember this!
- Tell someone you love them. Even if it is just your dog. And look them in the eye when you do it.
- Send someone a book! Books on Amazon can be cheaper than $10, but the thought and effort are priceless. Extra points if it is specifically relevant for them at the time, but an old fave of yours is great too.
- Express your gratitude — do you just love your salad or your almond milk latte every day? Tell the person who makes it!
- Give a hug or two. People need them more than we think!
- Kill time with love. Instead of Instagraming or defaulting to your inbox in every spare moment, play on Freerice.com. It’s fun and for each answer you get right, 10 grains of rice are donated to people in need.
- Drink a glass of champagne. And no, you don’t need an occasion. Being alive in a beautiful world is reason enough.
What other ideas do you have to be awesome?
Susie Moore is a Confidence Coach in New York City. Sign up for her free weekly wellness tips via her website.
Originally published at susie-moore.com on March 12, 2016.