A network security engineer career path should be multi-pronged. Network security engineers should possess strong multi-tasking skills and enthusiasm for details and should think one step ahead of cyber criminals. They should be well prepared to deal with high-stress situations and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Following are the main job requirements of a network security engineer: A network engineer degree, telecom engineer degree, or BS/BE degree in computer science, cyber security or related IT fields.
• Proven work experience as a network security engineer or information security engineer.
• Experience in creating and maintaining security systems.
• Thorough understanding of the latest technologies, security principles, and protocols.
• Complete command on dealing with security systems, intrusion detection systems, firewalls, anti-virus software, log management, authentication systems, content filtering, etc.
• Understanding of the web-related terminologies and software such as web applications, web related protocols, service-oriented architectures, and web services.
• Ability to work under pressure and stressful scenarios.
• Ability to communicate and report network security incidents and issues to the upper management.
• Ability to define and implement the results of malicious code, mobile code, and anti-virus software.
• Ability to obtain a security clearance.
• Knowledge of computer forensic tools, data loss prevention methods, and disaster recovery methods.
• Network engineer certifications such as CCNP Security (Cisco Certified Network Professional Security), CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker), CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional), and GIAC Security Certifications.
Source: Network Security Engineer