We at SWI publish in ten languages. Our daily news meetings involve discussions in at least three, sometimes five, languages. This degree of diversity could be seen as a liability; we consider it our greatest asset.
That’s why we are organizing a hackathon on empowering linguistic diversity in newsrooms on Feb. 21–22, 2020 to mark the International Mother Language Day, which celebrates linguistic diversity.
Here’s a list of things we could tackle together:
- Translate/adapt long-form stories
- Translate/adapt breaking news
- Translate/adapt/visualise comments
- Multilingual video workflows, also on social media
- Translation workflows in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop
- How to get the most out of APIs and spreadsheets
- Multilingual transcription and instant translations
Other ideas? Let us know! email@example.com.
The hackathon will take place at the SWI swissinfo.ch newsroom in Bern, Switzerland. It is open to journalists, programmers, designers, researchers and innovators from Switzerland and elsewhere. We will put its learnings on a public repository and we’ll share them here.