When was the last time you thought, gee, I wish I had a few more resources at my disposal? When was the last time you stared at that awesome marketing campaign only to realize that it was crafted by those who had access to better talent or finances or worse, both.
Don’t worry, you’re not alone! In fact you are a part of the majority. Most team leaders and executives constantly feel handicapped with the expertise or budgets available to them. In fact, here at Eulerity when talking to the marketing leaders of some of the top franchise organizations this is the question we get the most “Our budgets are limited and our team size is under 5 . How can we compete with the marketing strategies of the top brands with buckets of money? Those guys are eating our market share.”
But remember, before Goliath became Goliath he was just like you. Just like David, fearless and ready to topple the next Goliath. Here’s a short list of things that I’ve gathered which are helpful in forging a rockstar and nimble marketing team:
- Stop Sacrificing What You Want Most For What You Want Right Now: It would be lovely to see a short blip in sales or get short term gratification with a few social media likes but instead it is far more important that your organization has a holistic marketing stack which addresses all kinds of current and potential customers. Instant gratification is oddly satisfying, but not when it is at the expense of long term marketing goals.
- Stop Making Excuses: If you are looking for a reason/excuse not to set up the correct marketing practices in your network, you will surely find one. Part of taking ownership of your marketing plan and reflecting on how you got to a sub-optimum state is understanding how you are enabling your bad decisions. It is usually with excuses, like we once tried this and it didn’t work, or you don’t have time when you’re not making time, our network will not listen to us, etc.
- Eliminate Distractions: There always has been and there always will be, a new shiny toy available which claims to solve all problems. Please avoid those. In 2019, successful marketing channels are not a secret (digital marketing done right on Google and Facebook works). Make sure you aren’t distracted by solutions which don’t rely on modern technology and instead waste your time by showing you unscalable gimmicks.
- Prioritize Ruthlessly & Be Nimble: One of the biggest advantages small teams have over their larger counterparts is their ability to change course swiftly. That is your secret weapon. Make it count. Find the marketing channels that meet your budget criteria and then go all in on perfect execution. Do few things in your marketing plan and do them really, really well. Choose the right partner, invest in best practices and 9 times out of 10, your results will be better than your larger competitors.
- Face Your Fears & Look Technology In The Eye: It’s 2019 and there’s no point in not embracing technology, even though it might be a bit uncomfortable at first. The internet (cloud based apps) is here to stay and it’s not going anywhere. No one who is successful will ever judge you or your team for failing when you tried something new. Going with the modern trends and doing the work is how you gather courage and begin making progress towards achieving your dream marketing goals.
In the end, I will leave you with this: The pleasure of rooting for the guys with more resources is that you can expect to win. The pleasure of rooting for the smaller and nimble team is that, while you don’t know what to expect, you stand a chance of being inspired.