Why Breaking Free From Alcohol is Important
Everyone knows that alcohol is detrimental to health. Even health care experts encourage people to quit drinking by talking about positive health benefits of abstaining from alcohol. For a person with chronic alcohol problem, taking break from regular drinking sessions can be tough due to his or her emotional attachment to the substance. Many people continue to drink despite knowing about the health hazards of excessive drinking.
But quitting alcohol is not difficult for those who determine to lead a happy life without any addictions. The most important thing one can do to help a loved one kick the habit is to initiate an open communication. Discussing the advantages of quitting alcohol can encourage someone to walk the path of sobriety. Listed below are a few advantages of abstaining from alcohol:
1. Reduced waistline: An expanding waistline is the result of the calories that accumulate in the body due to the consumption of junk food and drinks. Including alcohol in the diet worsens the situation. Alcoholic drinks are full of empty calories, which contribute to weight gain. Hence, ditching alcohol can help one slim down by staying away from empty calories.
2. Improved sleep: Although drinking alcohol can make one feel relaxed and drowsy, the substance actually hinders with the sleep pattern, resulting in poor quality of sleep. Studies have shown that alcohol prevents the user from reaching the deepest sleep stage, which further causes restlessness, waking up at frequent intervals and headaches in the morning.
3. Clearer skin: Excessive drinking can deprive the skin of vital vitamins and nutrients, such as vitamin A, which is essential for skin health. Alcohol also increases the blood flow, which leads to bursting and dilating of blood vessels in the face causing red spots. Dehydration is another problem caused by excessive alcohol intake.
4. Healthy relationships: Chronic alcohol abusers spend most of their time with drinking buddies, neglecting others, including family and friends. Taking a break from drinking and spending quality time with friends and family can result in stronger bonds. Also, spending quiet and sober time with the loved ones can be rejuvenating and relaxing.
5. Financial benefits: The amount of money a habitual drinker spends on buying alcohol often exceeds his or her income. Drinking even at home can be expensive if done on a regular basis. One can get involved in less expensive alternatives of having fun, such as going out with friends or family, instead of boozing.
Good health is the ultimate benefit that one receives by taking a break from alcohol. Studies have shown that there is a direct association between alcoholism and development of cancers. According to a World Cancer Report released by the World Health Organization (WHO), alcohol is responsible for 5.4 percent of all cancer deaths, including mouth, throat and breast cancer.
Getting alcohol-free is not difficult
Timely intervention is critical in dealing with addiction to any substance before it becomes unmanageable. Though it may seem a challenge to control one’s alcoholic habit, it is possible. One of the best ways to quit alcohol is to start the recovery process by taking small manageable steps to reduce the amount of alcohol being consumed. Some of the strategies to reduce alcohol intake are keeping a track of each drink, familiarizing oneself with standard drink sizes, setting goals, ensuring intervals between drinks, avoiding drinks on an empty stomach and avoiding triggers.
If you or a loved one is struggling with alcohol addiction, contact the Colorado Alcohol Addiction Help to know about the holistic approach to recovery and the best alcohol addiction treatment centers in Colorado. Call us at our 24/7 helpline number 866–592–9261 to learn more about the best alcohol rehab centers in Colorado.