Bali 9: Timeline

“I failed. I lost”

Heartbreaking words from Todung Mulya Lubis, one of the human rights lawyers who acted on behalf of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran right up until the end. He typed these statements moments after the young mens’ deaths.

How it all started

17.Apr.2005: Nine Australians were arrested at Ngurah Rai International Airport (Bali)

In an attempt to smuggle more than 8 Kilogram of heroin out of Indonesia nine Australians were arrested in Bali.

Renae Lawrence, Martin Stephens, Scott Rush and Michael Czugaj — were arrested at Denpasar airport with packages of heroin strapped on their bodies.

Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen, Si Yi Chen and Matthew Norman arrested at the Maslati Hotel in Kuta Beach with about 300 grams of heroin.

As per Police source — Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran — were also arrested at Denpasar airport.

Australian Federal Police confirms their involvement in the arrest


The Australian Federal Police (AFP) confirm Indonesian police had been acting on information given to them by Australian authorities.

Scott Rush and Renae Lawrence lodged a court action against AFP, alleging it was wrong to pass on information (which can only be released by the attorney-general) to Indonesia that led to their arrests. AFP came clean by saying that the bilateral treaty provision only applies after a suspect is charged.

On 24 April 2005, AFP Commissioner Mick Keelty said the AFP would hand over all evidence it had obtained against the Bali Nine.

“The policy is that we will not give evidence that will, or information that will, directly cause or result in somebody receiving the death penalty, but the reality is in this case, it would appear, on the allegation, that these people have been caught red-handed with heroin in Indonesia.” — Australian Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty, May 2005.

Lawrence’s father, Bob Lawrence, said in October 2005 that he wanted to meet Keelty face to face after learning of the comments made by Lee Rush.

“As far as I’m concerned, and excuse the expression, [Keelty] is an arsehole. These kids were forced into this … they should have been either arrested at the airport here or followed to get the big guys. I don’t know how they can sleep at night … even if [the Bali Nine] were guilty of doing it willingly, it still doesn’t deserve the death penalty.” — Bob Lawrence, father of Renae Lawrence, October 2005.


October 11, 2005

Trials started in Denpasar for Myuran Sukumaran & Michael Czugaj.

October 12, 2005:

Trial for Martin Stephens begins. Appearing jointly in a separate trial Si Yi Chen, Matthew Norman and Tan Duch Thanh Nguyen appear in the court.

October 13, 2005

Trials begins for Andrew Chan and Scott Rush.

October 14, 2005

Renae Lawrence’s trial begins in Denpasar.


February 13, 2006

Renae Lawrence (20 Years) and Scott Rush (life imprisonment) were both sentenced to life in prison by the Denpasar district court.

In both cases, the judges said there was no evidence to back the defendants’ claims that they had been forced to carry the drugs under the threat that members of their families would be killed.

February 14, 2006

First time ever Denpasar district court handed a death sentence to Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan by firing squad for drug trafficking and providing money, airline tickets and hotels to the drug mules. Martin Stephens & Michael Czugaj are sentenced to life imprisonment.

February 15, 2006

Matthew Norman, Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen, & Si Yi Chen sentenced to life in prison.

Appeals lodged for the Bali 9s

February 17, 2006

Renae Lawrence’s lawyer lodged an application to appeal a life sentence for her.

3 days later, Scott Rush’s lawyers announced that they will focus on a plea for mercy to Indonesia’s president (Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono), instead of lodging an appeal.

The rest of the Bali Nine also lodged applications to appeal their sentences.

On April 26, the appeals by Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan were rejected by the Bali high court.

A day later, Lawrence, Matthew Norman, Michael Czugaj, Si Yi Chen and Tan Duc Thanh Nguyen’s sentences were reduced to 20 years by the court. The life sentences for Rush and Martin Stephens are upheld.

— — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — — —