Wireless Sensor Network topics
There are many research, thesis and project topics in Wireless Sensor Network(WSN) for M.Tech, PhD and other students doing masters. Here is the list of current topics in wireless sensor network:
- Bluetooth Low Energy — This technology was launched by Nokia under the name Wibree in 2006. It is also known as Bluetooth Smart. It is supported by various range of operating systems like Android, Ios, Windows phone, BlackBerry, Linux, Windows 8 and 10. The main feature of this technology is reduced power consumption and cost while the communication range is same. It operates at 2.4 Ghz frequency. It is a very good topic for research and thesis. It find its application in healthcare systems, sports, alerts and proximity sensing.
- OpenWSN — OpenWSN is a project created to build an open-source protocol stack for Wireless Sensor Network(WSN) and Internet of Things(IoT). It is created at University of California Berkeley. It implements the IEEE 802.15.4e TSCH(Time Slotted Channel Hopping). It is available for Linux, Windows, OS X platform and is related to RIOT and OpenMote. It is also an appropriate choice for thesis and research.
- Routing Protocols — Research and development is going on to design protocols for WSN which are energy efficient. AODV is one such protocol designed for wireless communication. AODV stands for Ad-hoc On-demand Distance Vector. This routing protocol is used in ZigBee technology which is low-power and low-cost ad hoc network. This routing protocol establishes route on demand from source to destination when requested by a source node by RREQ(Route Request) message. The route is maintained till the time communication is required. DSR(Dynamic Source Routing) is another routing protocol used in wireless communication. The main difference between this protocol and AODV protocol is that rather route table, it uses source routing. Along with these two protocols, there are also some other protocols. Thus routing protocols is a very good thesis/dissertation and research topic under wireless sensor network.
- Telemetry — Telemetry is an application of Wireless Sensor Network(WSN). It is a communication process in which data is collected from remote locations for measurements. Telemeter device is used in this case. A telemeter consists of a sensor, a transmission path, display, recording and a control device. With telemetry multiple streams of data can be transmitted in a fixed time frame. Telemetry find its application in meteorology for weather prediction, oil and gas industry to acquire drilling information from beneath the sea, motor racing to collect racing data, transportation, agriculture, defense and space science. Students doing masters can do research on applications of wireless sensor network like telemetry.
- Clustering in Wireless Sensor Network(WSN) — Clustering is a process in which nodes are divided into groups by following some mechanism in wireless sensor network. Clustering improves the lifetime of a network which ultimately improves the performance of the sensor network. Scalability and energy efficiency is also achieved through clustering. In a cluster, a role is assigned to an individual node on the basis of their parameters. Cluster Head is responsible for coordinating and processing the cluster. Thus clustering is also a challenging topic for thesis/dissertation and research in Wireless Sensor Network(WSN).
These are some of the thesis and research topics in Wireless Sensor Network(WSN). Besides these, other good topics are data logging, WSN simulation, Internet of Things(IoT), ZigBee etc.
Characteristics of WSN
Following are the main characteristics of WSN:
- Energy harvesting through power consumption constraints
- Ability to handle node failure
- Nodes mobility
- Easy to use
- Design is cross-layer
Advantages of Wireless Sensor Network
The advantages of WSN are:
- Flexibility — The network is flexible in the sense that it can adapt itself to the changes occurring in its surroundings.
- New devices can be added — The network has the capacity to accommodate new devices easily.
- Save cost — It saves a lot of cost in the sense that there is no need of wires thus saving wiring costs.
- Wide range of applications — WSN find its applications in wide range of areas from health-care to defense and is therefore helpful to human beings.
Disadvantages of Wireless Sensor Network
Although there are numerous applications of WSN, still there are some disadvantages of this network
- Wireless Sensor Network is less secure than the wired network as it can be easily attacked by the hackers.
- There is regular need of charging of nodes as the battery life these nodes is low.
- The communication speed is also less than wired network
- WSN can get distracted and interfere by other wireless devices.