I’ve done this for about six months now—start early to focus on what’s most important to me to be exact—so I might be able to share some useful tips:
- Drink a glass of water, first thing.
- Splash some water on your face, it really does help.
- If your head is still not with you yet, warm up. Do some push-ups, yoga exercise, or something else that activates your body—and head.
- If your first task pushes back. Break it down, or do a related task for five minutes. For example, if my first task is programming challenge, I might make CSS arrows for five minutes to prime my mind for the real task.
- Or, simply smile! Hey, you’re starting your day with something of outmost importance to you—what’s more awesome than that? 😁
Since I wake up at 5.15 am every day I usually also get the question: “how do you manage to wake up so early?” What I’ve discovered is that if what I’m setting out to do when I wake up is important to me, I’ll look forward to get the day started and therefore have no problem leave the bed. Though it probably helps that I got to bed around 9.30–10.00 pm and don’t watch TV.