8 Barriers to Effective Communication
- Lack of attention, interest, distractions or irrelevance to the receiver.
- Differences in perception and viewpoint.
- Physical disabilities: such as hearing problems or speech difficulties.
- Language differences: the difficulty in understanding unfamiliar accents.
- Expectations and prejudices: which may lead to false assumptions or stereotyping
- The use of jargon: Over-complicated, unfamiliar or technical terms.
- Emotional barriers and taboos: Some people may find it difficult to express their emotions and some topics may be completely off-limits or taboo.
- Cultural Differences: The norms of social interaction vary greatly in different cultures, as do the way in which emotions are expressed.