Adult Driver Education — Getting Your Texas Drivers License
Need to get your Texas drivers license, but not exactly sure how to go about doing it? Have you been delaying it because you thought it would take a long time?
It’s not as difficult as you might think. Texas is one of few states where the law requires that if you did not complete a formal driver education course as a teen, and are between the ages of 18 and 24, then you must complete a Texas adult driver education course that is approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
Six steps to get your Texas Drivers License
- Enroll in a State Approve Texas Adult Drivers Ed Course.
- Complete the DPS written test at the end of the course.
- Print your ADE-1317 Driver Education Certificate from the course backend.
- Bring ADE-1317 Certificate to local DPS office.
- Apply for Texas learners permit or schedule DPS road test.
- Receive learners permit or Texas drivers license.
Learners Permit vs Texas Drivers License
This is where you have options once you complete the online adult drivers ed course. Take your ADE-1317 certificate to your local Department of Public Safety (DPS) office. In order to receive a Texas drivers license, you will have to pass the DPS road test in a vehicle with a Texas State Trooper.
If you already know how to drive (they are not going to ask how you learned) and feel you are ready to take the DPS road test, then you can go ahead and schedule it. In larger cities, you may have to schedule it a few days out. In smaller cities, they can often test you on the same day.
If you are not ready to take the DPS road test yet, then you can apply for a Texas learners permit. This will allow you to practice driving with a licensed adult driver in the passenger seat who is over 21 years of age. As long as your passenger is licensed and at least 21 or older, you can practice driving to gain experience. Then, once you have that driving experience and are ready to take the DPS road test, you can go back to the DPS office to schedule it.
Texas Adult Driver Education Online vs Traditional Driving School
Both have their advantages.
Texas Adult Driver Education Onine
- Six hour online course taken from any computer or laptop.
- Complete the course in one day, or as your time permits.
- DPS written test is taken in the course.
- Immediate certificate availability (with Virtual Drive’s online adult course)
- Get your Texas learners permit or drivers license.
- Very cost affordable (less than $40.00).
Traditional Texas Driving School
- Usually only available in larger cities.
- Must arrange travel to and from driving school.
- Strict schedules make attending difficult.
- Cost much more due to instructor salaries.
- Driving class of school can be very expensive.
Texas Driver Education Training for Older Adults
Can first time Adult drivers over the age of 25 benefit from an online adult driver education course? Absolutely! You would be surprised at how many adults simply put off getting their drivers license.
Here’s what’s important: The State of Texas *requires* adults between the ages of 18 and 25 complete a state approved course. If you are 25 or older, you do not have to take the course, however, if you are first time driver, the course can help you immensely.
Being over 25 years of age, you can simply visit your local DPS office to pickup a copy of the Texas Drivers Handbook or use that link to view it online. However, that puts the ball in your course. You will have to study the manual from top to bottom.
The benefit of taking the Adult driver education course online is, that you have audio, visual and graphic reinforcement in the training. The modules are smaller and easier to follow along, and of course, having access to online practice tests to determine how well you are retaining the content of the training.
For adults who are first time drivers and over the age of 25, taking a six hour online adult drivers ed course can give you a tremendous advantage to making the process of getting your Texas drivers license very simple.
If you are a Texas adult and looking for a cost-effective means to get exceptional driver training with a course that will walk you through the entire process (including tips on how to pass the DPS road test on the first try), visit our web site at virtualdriveoftexas.com for more information about our state approve course for teens and adults.