How to Achieve A Micro-Calm
Do you ever have those days where you realize you have waaaaaay too much on your plate, and there is not enough time in the day, and then a pin drops and you’re like THAT’S IT TIME TO DROP OUT OF SCHOOL/LIFE AND PICK MY STRIPPER NAME.
What I tend to do in those hypothetical situations is search Pinterest for the answer(because Pinterest always has the answer) and ask ‘how can I de-stress?’ And Pinterest typically comes up with something like “Take a long bubble bath, spend time with loved ones, meditate on the arbitrariness of life…”
Which is hella unhelpful because the reason I’m stressed is because I DON’T have time for a bubble bath or arbitrary meditation.
So what can you do?
- Realize this is a season. Yeah life may suck right now but it won’t always suck the way it does now.
- Small things. Do the little self care things that make you take a breather. You can’t meditate for an hour but you can do ten minutes. Check out the meditation minis in the podcast land of Spotify.
- Drink water. I said it. Give your body a chance to hydrate between espresso shots. It will make the coffee work better and you a lot less cranky. (Just think of it as if you’re making the ultimate Americano.)
- Time manage. Time manage. Time manage. You can’t do it all. But you can do a lot if you are maximizing your time appropriately. For some people that is planning by the day. Some it’s planning by the hour or half hour increment. Find what works for you and STICK TO IT.
- Plan for a rest. You need some time to rest. If you can pencil it in, definitely do so.
If you are an overambitious person like myself, you may struggle with putting too much on your plate. Nothing I can’t pencil in, right? Not necessarily. You need to create a template that allows you to do you, well. It’s hard to hear, and it’s a lesson I haven’t learned completely. (Ask the two new groups I just joined.) But if wisdom is to be absorbed, it is that you need to do what you gotta do, to do life well.
I’m gonna take a bubble bath now…