Do you keep receiving alerts from calendars that other people have shared with you on Google Calendars on your iPhone/Mac?
Can’t figure out how to turn them off, without unsubscribing from their calendar completely (which totally defeats the purpose of sharing)?
Well, I believe I have found a solution for this, after a lot of searching and messing around.
The problem is: if someone shares a calendar with you and you subscribe to it in your Google Calendar, your iPhone/Mac thinks it is one of YOUR calendars (i.e. not a “shared” calendar). And Apple doesn’t give you an option to switch off reminders on calendars that are YOURS, so you will receive all of the notifications.
What you can do is: disable the syncing of that calendar and subscribe to it manually.
FIRST, turn off syncing their calendar so that your iPhone/Mac can’t see it anymore:
- Go to https://www.google.com/calendar/syncselect and uncheck their calendar. This allows you to still see the calendar in the google calendar website, but it will not sync to your iPhone/Mac.
SECOND, THEY send you the private link to their calendar (just for subscription purposes):
- They open their Google Calendar (www.google.com/calendar) in their web browser
- Open the Settings menu by clicking the little cog icon at the top right of the page, and then click Settings
- Click their calendar (their name) on the left hand side of the page
- Scroll right down to the bottom of the page and copy the link under “Secret address in iCal format”
- Email you the link.
FINALLY, YOU add the calendar to your device iPhone/Mac as a Subscribed calendar:
On iPhone/iPod Touch:
- Go to Mail and open the message
- Press and hold on the link, select “Copy”
- Press the Home button to go back to the home screen
- Open Settings app
- Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars–>Add Account–>Other–>Add Subscribed Calendar
- Tap in the Server field and Paste the link, then press Next
- You now get the option to not sync alarms, attachments and also to ignore alerts
- Copy the link from your email
- Open Calendar app
- Go to File–>New Calendar Subscription…
- Paste the link and press Subscribe
I’ve only just set this up just now but it seems like it should work. I hope it helps others find peace too!