It’s all part of the ride (Biker Philosophy)
Some days the weather is perfect and it seems like the day was made for riding. On days like that it’s almost immoral not to get out on the road and spend some time in the saddle. It’s as if life its self were beckoning you to get out and embrace the things that lay ahead of you.
Then some days it rains. Some days the sky pisses on you so hard it makes you wonder if maybe life has it in for you and wants you to know it. On those days the road is uninviting, but life doesn’t stop for you just because the road is in a bad way.
So what can you do? You adjust your speed and take precautions, but you keep going.
If you’re a real man you don’t let the things you can’t change bother you. You knew these days would come when you signed up for the ride, and crying about it in the middle of it all wouldn’t do any good anyway.
On days like those I remember the words spoken by wiser men than myself.
One way to look at is from the perspective that, “The summer would not be so sweet were in not for the summer.”
But even without getting that philosophical and forward looking, all you need to remember is…
“It’s all part of the ride.”
If you liked this post, you may like these:
- It’s okay to be lost
- The value of life
- Reality is amazing
- The cosmic perspective
- The relationship between sanity, reality, truth, religion and science
- Enlightenment Through Logic
- The Map of Everything
- The prime prerogative
- The value of knowledge
- Life is an existential dilemma: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4
- The danger in telling people life has no meaning
- Reading for truth
- 11 ways mainstream academic philosophy has come to resemble religion
- Deep thoughts by the wise janitor
- Ethics without religion -you’re already doing it
- My secular theory on ethics
- Another attempt at explaining my secular theory on ethics
- Reasons to be kind outside of religion
- Karma ghosts
- The non-believers’ 7 deadly sins
- My theory on sexual morality
- Demonizing pleasure is a failed experiment
- Cost/benefit analysis of hedonism
- Should you let friends borrow money?
- Why and when you should have a problem with authority
- Why it’s bad to be conceited
- Self-subjugation is not a virtue
- No action is an island
- The Tao of Booze
- The drug talk
- Why you should be sober
- 6 accurate and 6 inaccurate ways to judge people
- 8 steps to becoming a genius
- My approach to thinking/problem solving
- The science of thought
- Your ability to think obligates you to
- How to think critically
- How to solve a problem using a team
Agnosticism and Atheism
- Agnostic nihilism
- Agnostic atheism
- Do agnostics fear death?
- An agnostic theory on why God is so cruel
- An agnostic take on God
- An agnostic take on Pascal’s Wager
- An agnostic take on intelligent design
- So you don’t believe in God. What do you do now?
- Should reason be considered a legal religion?
- Reason vs faith: part 1, part 2
- Predictions on the New Atheist movement
- Meta Atheists V.S. Pop Atheists
- A biker looks at social conformity
- A biker looks at bad weather
- A biker looks at the road
- A biker explains why we ride
- A biker wonders again why he rides
- A biker looks at crying
Originally published at thewisesloth.com on October 30, 2009.