Put up the kickstand (Biker Philosophy)
Life is like riding down the open road.
After you see enough places you realize they’re all basically one and the same. Sure, the details change a little, but it’s the same place over and over again.
You also realize that no matter where you go you’ll always take yourself with you.
This means that, far from being able to hide from your fears, weaknesses, regrets, etc.,
it’s what you bring with you that ultimately defines every place you go.
This means your journey is defined by the hopes, strengths, sense of adventure, etc.you bring with you to every place you go.
So when you finally put the kick stand down and let the dust settle behind you and the pipes cool…
When you look back on it all you’ll see that ultimately the ride wasn’t about seeing new places. It was about getting to know yourself, overcoming your demons, and growing up…
into the wisest, most original, most collected mother fucker on the road.
If you liked this post, you may like these:
- It’s okay to be lost
- The value of life
- Reality is amazing
- The cosmic perspective
- The relationship between sanity, reality, truth, religion and science
- Enlightenment Through Logic
- The Map of Everything
- The prime prerogative
- The value of knowledge
- Life is an existential dilemma: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4
- The danger in telling people life has no meaning
- Reading for truth
- 11 ways mainstream academic philosophy has come to resemble religion
- Deep thoughts by the wise janitor
- Ethics without religion -you’re already doing it
- My secular theory on ethics
- Another attempt at explaining my secular theory on ethics
- Reasons to be kind outside of religion
- Karma ghosts
- The non-believers’ 7 deadly sins
- My theory on sexual morality
- Demonizing pleasure is a failed experiment
- Cost/benefit analysis of hedonism
- Should you let friends borrow money?
- Why and when you should have a problem with authority
- Why it’s bad to be conceited
- Self-subjugation is not a virtue
- No action is an island
- The Tao of Booze
- The drug talk
- Why you should be sober
- 6 accurate and 6 inaccurate ways to judge people
- 8 steps to becoming a genius
- My approach to thinking/problem solving
- The science of thought
- Your ability to think obligates you to
- How to think critically
- How to solve a problem using a team
Agnosticism and Atheism
- Agnostic nihilism
- Agnostic atheism
- Do agnostics fear death?
- An agnostic theory on why God is so cruel
- An agnostic take on God
- An agnostic take on Pascal’s Wager
- An agnostic take on intelligent design
- So you don’t believe in God. What do you do now?
- Should reason be considered a legal religion?
- Reason vs faith: part 1, part 2
- Predictions on the New Atheist movement
- Meta Atheists V.S. Pop Atheists
- A biker looks at social conformity
- A biker looks at bad weather
- A biker looks at the road
- A biker explains why we ride
- A biker wonders again why he rides
- A biker looks at crying
Originally published at thewisesloth.com on October 30, 2009.