Job listing active as of August 2017
We don’t believe in being stuck in a boring 9-to-5; clocking in and clocking out. We believe that a job you love is a job worth doing. We work with purpose and meaning — for ourselves, and for our clients.
(Also, we really f**king love building kickass products.)
If you’re a Business Development person interested in being part of a constantly evolving team, with the freedom to travel and work remotely, keep reading.
Melewi is building a team of kickass team of product designers and managers to be based anywhere on the globe. Our business development team will be based out of Asia Pacific (your working time should have an overlap of at least 1pm — 6pm GMT +8).
We work with exciting startups from around the world and also with international brands like Visa, Samsung and McDonald’s.
We’ll have fun, learn as we go, and create some damn amazing work! This is your opportunity to learn, create, and work towards your big goals, whatever they may be. We give a lot of trust to the right people, and that means you’ll find yourself often in the driver’s seat, helping us steer the company towards greatness.
What does working with us look like?
- We’re agile & always learning — We toss what doesn’t work and improve what does. We believe that there is no ‘best’, only ‘better’.
- We’re flat & lean — Communication is open between everyone regardless of position, gender, age or nationality; suggestions for improvement are open to all, and there’s no gap between “management” and “staff”.
- We’re ambitious & proactive — We’ve got big dreams, and we work hard and fast (and yes, we break things) to achieve it. Taking initiative is the standard. The business is in everyone’s hands, not just a select few.
- We’re flexible — While we don’t compromise on the important things (work, culture, attitude, progress), we leave the less important things up to you (like what you wear, and what times you want to work (with some stipulations)).
- We’re in this together and most of all, we’re fun! — We’re aligned in our values, vision and goals and work together as a family. Work takes up too much of your life to not enjoy what you do. While we take our work seriously, lots of laughing can be expected too. ☺
What does the right person look like?
You’ll have prior working experience in business development and sales, as well as the need to be constantly learning and growing.
You should have a solid understanding of business, UX & UI design and tech products (webapps / mobile apps) in order to locate and develop business relationships.
We’re keen to find someone with experience in startups, as well as someone who’s familiar with lean & agile working methodologies.
You’ll be responsible, proactive, personable, and eager to learn. A good sense of humour and a love for meeting people are musts. And if you’re the type to bring tasty treats to share, we welcome you with open arms!
What skills and traits are we looking for?
- A strong background of at least 2 years in business development and tech / design, as well as a solid network in the tech space in various markets.
- Solid experience with sales and some experience with relationship building.
- Understands how to strategize the building of a pipeline of qualified sales prospects.
- Someone who enjoys discovering and exploring opportunities by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and evaluating options.
- The want and ability to travel regionally (Asia-Pacific).
- A thorough understanding of what makes a great product (lean biz canvas, MVP, value proposition, USP, user personas, etc.).
- Someone who makes genuine connections with people by always providing value instead of hard-selling.
- Someone who loves people and collaboration, and believes that building relationships triumph fighting negotiations.
- Start-up minded and familiar with lean & agile methodologies, as well as the ability to adapt to various processes (we’re constantly trying to improve our processes and are open to change, so you’d have to be too!).
- Possesses great presentation and communication skills.
- Takes initiative, and is a self-starter. You should be able to execute on ideas you come up with to get results.
- An awesome attitude + no ego + team-player (no lone wolves).
- Constantly learning and sharing knowledge + seeks out & appreciates feedback.
How will the role compensate?
The role will based off a monthly base salary + % of commission paid out over the life of the project. The base salary will be determined by your level of experience, and the commission % will be determined by your level of involvement on each project.
Interested? Check out our Melewi values to see more about what we stand for and live by.
Melewi is a travelling UX UI design studio working with passionate people and companies from around the world.
We live to make users, product and business make sense together. An excellent user experience means thinking hard about how to make your product work so your users don’t have to.
Conference calls with clients located around the world are just another day at the office for us — wherever that may be. We work remotely from Singapore, India, USA, Greece, Philippines, Brazil, Denmark, and anywhere a plane can take us.
Melewi was started by Melissa Ng in 2013. She’s a nomad, entrepreneur, and designer from Singapore, working from wherever the next plane takes her.
We also have on our awesome team:
- Peach Nacion — Our COO, and brilliant, sassy & occasionally terrifying mother-of-two,
- Mary Silvestre — Our music junkie, photography genius and front-end designer/developer,
- Rikke Gantzel — Our badass muay-thai practising senior UI designer,
- Nasos Kouroupis — Our silver-haired interaction-designer-whiz and Greek philosopher,
- Hazel Teng — Our creative, world-travelling marketing yogi,
- Tiago Gerstheimer — Our house-music-loving, literal gypsy (by blood) budding UI designer.
How to Apply
Apply by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a cover letter, portfolio / recommendations, résumé as well as a quick video to introduce yourself and tell us why you want to join the team. We’re all really excited to meet you! ☺