Why Do I Need to Eat Protein?
Why do you need to eat protein? Well, probably the simplest answer is to SURVIVE.
Humans can live without carbohydrates (we don’t recommend it) but it’s possible. But to literally exist you need some form of protein. And to live well, you need an optimum amount of protein.
What Does Protein Do?
Protein is the most important macronutrient of all and has a ton of different functions and effects. I won’t go into them all, but here are a few things protein does for your body:
- It’s essential in building or maintaining muscle tone (which has been linked to longevity of life).
- It’s really important in helping to detoxify your body. Humans have to detoxify hundreds or even thousands of times every day and we need the amino acids from proteins for that; without them, we’d end up completely toxic and die.
- Proteins repair tissue and help our bodies heal.
On a side note, ever heard of people going on “detoxifying” juice cleansing diets? Wondered if they work or not? In a short answer — no. And do you know why? Because one thing juice doesn’t contain is protein.
Seeing as you need protein to detoxifying your body and juice doesn’t contain any, when they say you’re detoxifying on a juice cleansing diet, actually, you’re not.
Choosing the Right Proteins
Obviously, you need to choose the right proteins and also the right amount of protein. Red meat can be great from time to time, but a rump steak every day is going to be an overload of protein and fat and unhealthy for your heart.
Likewise, eating MacDonald’s and other fast foods, processed meats and hot dogs have been linked to diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. So get a good and healthy mix of proteins from sources like:
- Fish: High in omega-3 fatty acids and lower in fat than other meats
- Chicken: Make it healthier by removing the skin
- Beans: Packed with protein and fibre, beans are an excellent choice
- Nuts: Snack on nuts all day long, especially if you need the extra protein
- Eggs: Poached or in an omlette, eggs are a great way to start your day
If you’re not sure whether you’re getting enough protein, or you’re trying to put on muscle mass then try adding whey protein shakes. Not only will you help your muscles stay stronger, but you’ll also reap the multiple benefits that whey protein can bring.