This is my simplified, low-carb version of a Greek favourite — Spanakopita, a delicious savoury pie filled with spinach and feta cheese.
It’s adapted from Keto Morning Hot Pockets which went viral over the social media. Based on several requests, I made the pockets nut-free by using flax meal instead of almond flour. Because flax meal is more absorbent than almond flour, I also added some cream cheese. If you can eat nuts, you can follow the original recipe that is made with almond flour — you will only need 4 ingredients: shredded mozzarella, almond flour, spinach and feta — that’s it!
In the next few weeks, I’ll share even more variations of this recipe, plus a video recipe — stay tuned!
Hands-on: 10 minutes
Overall: 30 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving)
Total Carbs 10 grams Fiber 5.4 grams Net Carbs 4.5 grams Protein 22.4 grams Fat 28 grams of which Saturated 14.2 grams Energy 366 kcal Magnesium 110 mg (27% RDA) Potassium 326 mg (16% EMR)
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (25%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella (85 g/ 3 oz) — use low-moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese; not fresh mozzarella.
- 1 heaped tbsp cream cheese (30 g/ 1 oz)
- 4 tbsp flax meal (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 85 g cooked & drained spinach (3 oz ) — squeeze out as much moisture as possible
- 85 g feta cheese, crumbled (3 oz)
- Prepare the dough: melt the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave oven for 1 minute, checking half way through.
- Add the flax meal. Stir until the dough is well-combined.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper (I used a silicon mat and silicon rolling pin).
- Add the cooked and drained spinach and crumbled feta.
- Fold over like an envelope and seal the dough.
- Poke some holes for releasing the steam while baking. Bake at 400 F (200 C) for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes. Cut in half and enjoy while still hot …
- … or let it col down and refrigerate for up to 3 days.