Millennials are older than you think.
Depending on what year Millennials came into being (let’s just say 1980), the oldest Millennials are 36 years old. They’re old! Ancient! Ok, maybe not ancient, but older than most people are picturing when they’re talking about the latest trends.
Basically, this generation that we thought we knew — the Me Generation —they went and grew up on us. And as they’re growing up, they’re changing their values, behaviors, buying habits, etc.
- They’re getting married and having kids (although later than earlier generations)
- They’re choosing NOT to be helicopter parents.
- They watch way more TV once they have kids.
- They purposely buy gender neutral toys.
- They’re pragmatic and choose value over quality (think Walmart over Target).
- They rely on the wisdom of the internet for parenting advice (no judgement, I swear).
Click through to any of those links for more stats. But the next time someone says Millennials in a meeting, you probably should be talking about Gen Z. They’re the young ones.