Day 1 iOS 10 Thoughts
It’s not insanely great. It’s fiddly and arbitrary and contains a variety of unnecessary small changes that don’t really jive. For example:
- Unlocking is no longer a matter of swiping. It’s now annoying
- Control Center now has multiple cards, defeating its one-touch access purpose
- The Today screen is a mess and the first thing you have to clean up
- Notifications on the Lock screen of the iPad are now all over on the left for no good reason
- Actually Notifications in general now seems… bulky?
- Folders now include a too-bright transparency at the back, making their titles hard to see
- Siri seems just as flaky as ever
- I’m sure if you love emoji then there’s a lot for you. But I never use them and disabled the keyboard long ago. So… ok.
- It’s still got a confusion over how much of a down swipe counts as bringing up Notification Center as opposed to Siri App Suggestions
- Siri App Suggestions is still pretty random
- The advanced Photo search doesn’t seem to work that well yet
- Very few Siri app integrations seem to exist at this time
On the positive side
- News looks nicer
- Music looks simpler
- You can delete the Stocks app. Huzzah!
- You can share Notes. A small but useful thing
- Universal copy and paste seems to work
Things not yet tried
- The Maps features
- The Home feature
All in all it’s just not much of anything. iOS11 will need to do a lot more.