Bringing intelligence and relevance to our store pickup service, we created an experience to identify eligible products and inform the user about picking up their online order in 2 hours.
The solution involved making changes in the online user experience, post-purchase communication, and fulfillment process in order to provide our 5 million+ members quicker access to the gear and apparel they need in order to enjoy good times outside.
Below, you’ll find screen recordings of the experience. If you’d like to review the experience yourself, please visit mec.ca and follow the steps below:
- Go to the Nalgene Everyday Water Bottle product detail page
- Either accept geo-location or set up your store manually by clicking the “Find in store” link (Vancouver or North Vancouver stores choice will work best)
- Pick your choice of colour. Vancouver or North Vancouver stores should have most of the colours available for 2 hour pickup
- Add the colour that is available for 2 hour pickup to your cart and click “Checkout”
- You can use any email address to login (for ex. “email@example.com”)
- On the “Delivery Method” step, choose “Free in-store pickup”. You should see 2 hour pickup message in the delivery method box and store selection drop down
- Please fill in the pickup form (you can use “Mec Test” for name field and “6047073300” for phone number)
- On the “Membership Details” step, please add a membership share to your order
- Once you’re on the membership form you should see product level 2 hour pickup message for eligible products in the order summary
- Fill in the membership form with any address (you can use “1077 Great Northern Way, Vancouver, BC V5T 1E1”), create a password and move to the next step
- Fill in the billing address (you can use “1077 Great Northern Way, Vancouver, BC V5T 1E1”) and move to the next step
- Once you are on the “Review and Pay” step you should see the precise pickup time message on the order level under Store Pickup Details and on a product level next to eligible products in the order summary
2-hour pickup message logic
In order for our pickup estimation messages to be precise and relevant, we consider the following factors: time required to fulfill the order in a store based on product type; time of the day, when the user was shopping on the site; store operating hours (when the store is open and able to fill orders, and when they close); and store time zone.
- If the user is shopping online within their preferred store open hours — we show the order/product is available for pickup in 2 hours. Ex.: “Pick up in 2 hours.”
- If the user is shopping before store open hours (from 12 am till store opens) — we show the order/product is available for pickup today, 2 hours after the store opens (to give the store staff time to prepare the order). Ex.: If the store opens at 10 am the message would say “Pick up today after 12 pm.”
- If the user is shopping online 3 hours before the store closes (that’s when we would stop same day pickup promise to avoid risk of a user coming to a store when it closes) till 12 am — we show the order/product is available for pickup tomorrow, 2 hours after the store opens. Ex.: If store opens at 10 am the message would say “Pick up tomorrow after 12 pm.”
- Furthermore, all the messages shown are based on the store time zone. And for products that require assembly, we add 24 hours of assembly time into our calculation.
Set my store. Screen recording show how users would set their preferred store manually or by accepting geo-location.
2 hour pickup message on product detail pages. Screen recording shows how 2 hour pickup message changes depending on store operating hours, store time zone, and product availability.
Estimated pickup time messages in checkout. Screen recording shows how 2 hour pickup message is carried over from the product detail page to checkout and appears on the order level and on product line items that are eligible.
Order confirmation page. Screenshot of an order confirmation page that users see once they complete a transaction. Each product has a pickup estimation time except for non-merchandise items such as memberships and e-gift cards.
Impact and results
Store pickup orders compared to the previous year
Since showing 2 hour pickup messaging, we’ve seen a 43% increase in store pickup orders compared to the previous year!
We had expected a growth of 32% (from June to September), and we’re stoked to report our actual results of 43%!
Set my store in navigation and product detail page
Users can set their preferred store in the navigation, through geo-location and on product detail pages. Users who engage with setting a preferred store convert at an astonishing rate — 3 times higher than those who do not set a store.
2 hour pickup message on the product detail page
Showing that a product can be picked up in 2 hours on the product detail page has resulted in a 4.31% increase in cart to detail rate, compared to when the message was hidden (cart-to-detail rate: The number of products added to a shopping cart per number of product-detail views).
- When a product is available for pickup in 2 hours, the buy to detail rate is 14% higher, compared to when the message was hidden (buy-to-detail rate: How many products were purchased per number of product-detail views).
- The average order value is 8.37% higher when a product has 2 hour pickup messaging, compared to when the message was hidden.
2 hour pickup message in checkout
We redesigned the delivery method selector component to call out the store pickup option in the checkout process.
- The design change resulted in a 50% increase in interactions.
- Once we added the estimated pickup time to the component, we saw a 38% increase in interactions.
Additional dollars spent in store when collecting store pickup order
- 32% of our store pickup transactions buy additional items in store. This has increased 6% compared to last year.
- The average dollars spent in store has increased by 2% compared to the same period last year.
The best part of online shopping is when you get your order! Our solution brings that joy to the user even faster — within 2 hours, and sometimes sooner than 2 hours. The less time you’re waiting for your order to arrive, the more time you have to spend outside!