My first Queens Of The Stone Age concert

The first and only time I’ve seen Queens Of The Stone Age live was in Austin, TX during SXSW at La Zona Rosa. I had come down with my band The Gypsy Noise Factory. We parted ways after a horrible show- I don’t even remember the venue. All I know is I spent every dime I had on whiskey and ended up abandoning them and rendering myself a bit homeless. I hooked up with my brother at one of his shows and ended up tagging along with his band that night. I’ll never forget his drummer asked me to marry him that night. It felt like he meant it. I wanted to say yes. He was very attractive. We were jamming out at their friends house and his drummer was so impressed with me he asked me to marry him… still wonder what would have happened if I had said yes… Needless to say the next day we were very hungover again and my brother wasn’t very happy with my choices. Apparently it was preferable I hook up with his bass player and not his drummer. And I’m not one to follow orders… Well it looks like they’re sending me on my way- which is nowhere. Last night everything was ok but whatever- I end up cruising around SXSW hoping to find someone I know. I tweet that I’m out wandering around and someone offers to let me in through backstage at the QOTSA show. I gleefully accept- not knowing I had miles to walk and the exhaustion from the previous two days would settle in very quickly. I had zero money and no one to call. I had no idea what to do.

Off I go to the venue. I arrive at the back door and my friend lets me in no problem. I get nervous about being backstage without a pass so I quickly walk through the most beautiful guitars as the Black Angels are getting ready to open the show. For the next three hours I cry several times and have the most incredible experience of my life listening to one of the best rock and roll bands to ever exist... Suddenly I start to get dizzy and very tired. I walk to the front of the venue and fall asleep against the wall. Maybe a half hour later a security guard wakes me to make sure I’m alive as “Little Sister” is blasting me back to consicousness. I’m not ok but I go back in and they play for another hour… I swear it was at least a 3 hour show. Maybe longer. They finish up and it starts to hit me I have nowhere to go and it’s getting cold.

I walk miles back to 6th street in some pain I never want to feel again. Can’t really meet people. Feeling very sick and haven’t eaten in days. It was one of the most painful moments of my life. I went to find my brother and see that everyone is having a great time and I’m not wanted around. I don’t have money and I don’t know what to do. My sister, my friends from Denver- no one will really talk to me. I’m not sure what happened but all I know is I was crying. A lot. I had no idea this was going to happen to me. I was some kind of stupid girl bum with no money and nobody. I was quite the rock star a few days ago.

I ask my brother for a ride back to where he’s staying and he puts me in a car with a bible sitting on the back seat. After my exhaustion hit hard I started getting belligerent. I wasn’t drunk- no one would buy me anything. But I was in a lot of pain and had experienced some serious life injuries because of Christians and their “judgement” upon me… So I asked the guy driving if I could piss on his bible. I’ll never forget that. He almost hit me. And then they almost kicked me out of the car. Instead they both cussed me out and left me alone, speeding away, at the apartment complex where my brother was staying. No one was there. I slept in the grass shivering and sobbing for hours. Hoping I would die. It hurt so bad. Eventually someone came home and I got a few hours of sleep and packed what little stuff I had and got the hell out of there. A girlfriend had an ex-boyfriend that would let me stay with him- Leo. I’ll never forget this guy. A gun happy British ego-maniac with a mansion covered in dog piss and shit. He would leave a DVD of “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” on repeat every single night. Every. Single. Night.

His house was an hour outside of Austin. I finally placed a craigslist ad to get me the hell out of there and a Christ-like man showed up about a mile away down the road, on a motorcycle to pick up me, my backpack and guitar. I’ll never forget that ride. I had met a girl with Leo at a bar that week before and she agreed to let me stay with her. She was going to school for acupuncture and she gave me a treatment to release grief. I cried for 3 days. She couldn’t wait to get me out of there. To be continued…

Like what you read? Give metaline a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.