5 Herbal Treatments for Anxiety Disorder
Recent studies reveal that anxiety disorders are common in the United States. Anxious people are susceptible to excessive fear and nervousness, which can sometimes occur out of the blue and hinder one’s ability to function normally. People with an anxiety disorder also experience an array of physical symptoms such as increased heartbeat, shortness of breath, dizziness, etc., which are, apparently, the warning signs that need to be recognized at the earliest.
Anxiety disorders are primarily classified into several disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder and social anxiety disorder (SAD). Fortunately, most of these conditions can be treated with medication such as antidepressants, anti-anxiety medicines, or both, along with therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and exposure therapy. However, there are certain unconventional natural ways, which can go a long way in curbing these symptoms.
Some of the herbal remedies that can help relieve anxiety symptoms are:
1. Kava: Also known as Kava kava, the herb originated at least 3,000 years ago and was traditionally consumed by people living around the Pacific Ocean, including Fiji, Vanuatu, Hawaii and Polynesia. The roots of kava are fermented to create a drink that works wonders for a worried mind and can alleviate anxiety. It is a highly effective and useful herb for treating social anxiety.
2. Passionflower: The herb is used to prepare medicines for insomnia, gastrointestinal problems related to anxiety or nervousness, GAD and others. Studies have shown that the herb is effective in relieving symptoms of anxiety and lowering brain activity, thereby relaxing the mind. However, one must refrain from using it on a regular basis as it can cause several side effects such as dizziness, confusion, rapid heart rate, etc.
3. Valerian: A herb which is generally used to treat sleep disorder is also an effective treatment for anxiety-related conditions. Valerian is beneficial in reducing anxiety and insomnia as it contains sedative compounds. The herb does not have an appealing smell and is difficult to drink that is why people generally take it in the form of a capsule or tincture.
4. Chamomile: Chamomile tea has been in use for centuries to provide relief in problems such as an upset stomach, sleep disorders and so on. The amazing herb is also an effective treatment for anxiety. Brewed in a tea or taken as a supplement, chamomile is a great way to ease the mind and relieve exhausted nerves.
5. Lavender: Studies show that lavender is one of the most effective herbs to treat anxiety disorders. A calming and relaxing herb, lavender is useful in treating insomnia, anxiety, depression and to naturally relieve stress.
The scent of the lavender flower helps induce sleep and relax stressed babies. In fact, smelling lavender, or drinking lavender-infused tea, can immediately calm down a person.
Seeking professional help
Though natural remedies can be effective in managing anxiety, it is advisable to seek professional help if the disorder starts disrupting an individual’s daily routine. The treatment depends on the type of anxiety disorder and its severity. Anxiety disorders can be treated with behavioral therapy, medications or a combination of the two.
If you or someone you know is dealing with an anxiety disorder and is looking for details about the anxiety disorder treatment centers in Arizona, we can help. Call at the Anxiety Disorder Treatment Arizona’s 24/7 helpline number 866–425–9317, and our representatives will guide you to the best facilities offering anxiety disorder treatment in Arizona.