A corner of my man-cave.

Debbiebrau — Part I: Primary Fermentation

Debbie, my mother-in-law, got me an awesome brewing kit from Northern Brewer for my birthday. I hadn’t gotten a full free day to do the initial brewing step until this Friday after thanksgiving. The brewing recipe is called the Caribou Slobber, and I’ve named the batch Debbiebrau.

Step 0: Gather the stuff.

A 5-gallon stainless steel pot, the beer recipe ingredients, coffee, YouTube video with brewing instructions, and a sweet-ass painting of a boat (artist: Lucky Lennox).

Step 1: Put water in a pot.

If you look carefully at the reflection in the stainless steel pot, you’ll see my gym shorts (center) and Arya (right).

Step 2: Steep grains.

TIL: these white sacks are called “muslin” bags.

Step 3: Warm up the liquid malt extract in hot water.

The water is brown because I dumped coffee grinds in the sink after I was done with them. But I’m not going to lie, our sink looks pretty gross any day of the week.

Step 4: Take out the steeped grains and wait for it to boil.

I literally watched water boil for half an hour.

Step 5: Pour in liquid and dry malt extracts.

Stir until the malt extracts have fulling dissolved.

Step 6: Dump in the hops.

And repeat this process two more times at differing times of the cook, with different packets of hops.

…60 minutes later…

We have wort!

Step 7: Cool the wort.

Apparently it’s beneficial to cool the wort as quickly as possible, so I gave it an ice bath. I went to the gym for an hour and came back to see that the water in the ice bath was full-on warm. I had to dump and replace the water.

Step 7.1: Carry the 5-gallon pot of wort downstairs.

Note to self: don’t do leg day and primary fermentation on the same day. In fact, don’t do leg day at all. Ever.

Step 8: Sanitize the stuffs.

The equipment about to be sanitized.
Sanitizing the 6-gallon carboy. The auto-siphon that comes with the kit is awesome.

Not shown: making the sanitizing solution.

Step 9: Pouring the wort into the carboy, and pitching the yeast.

I forgot to take photos of me doing any of that, so here is a picture of the finished product.

Overall — if you include wait time, prep time, and cleanup — setting up primary fermentation took about five hours. Was a great day, and am excited to see how this caribou turns out.

Secondary fermentation in two weeks!

One clap, two clap, three clap, forty?

By clapping more or less, you can signal to us which stories really stand out.