Getting around Rio during the Olympics
Since arriving in Rio one week ago I have been trying to understand how transport will work during the Olympic Games. Getting around during these games was always going to prove challenging given the large distances between venues, limited metro network and Rio’s beautiful but complex topography.
To illustrate the first of these, the distance from central (downtown) Rio to the main Olympic Park is around 20 miles by car. Meanwhile the drive from central London to Stratford where London’s Olympic park is located is around 8 miles. I will say no more about the even greater challenge of travelling between football venues which are 4 hour flights away from each other.
I have used Uber a fair amount since arriving and it was been efficient, reliable and cheap. However I don’t see it as being a particularly viable means to get to most venues given the potential for heavy traffic (particuarly Barra to Copacabana) and also the cost of covering these some of these distances.
The official Rio 2016 website does not have any good maps showing the location of the venues and how to get between them. On each sport’s spectator guide there are some instructions on travel but these are not particularly quick and easy to find.
I liked this map showing the approximate location of venues and which sports are taking place at each venue. It is worth noting though that the Olympic Hockey Center is actually in Deodoro and not Barra.
Visit.Rio and the British Foreign Office have both produced decent maps showing public transport between the various venues/zones.
Working in a hostel in Botafogo and with a view to being able to adequatly assist guests with travel information, I have produced some very simple text on getting to all the venues from here. I would very much welcome feedback on it.
Barra da Tijuca
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Line 1 to General Osorio
· Transfer to Line 4 to Jardim Oceânico (only possible with Barra da Tijuca Olympics event tickets AND RioCard Jogos Rio 2016)
· Take BRT (Bus rapid transit) to Centro Olímpico (Tennis, Basketball-other, Swimming, Cycling-track, Boxing, Handball, Judo, Wrestling, Diving, Synchronized Swimming, Water Polo, Fencing, Taekwondo)
· Take BRT to Pontal (Race Walk, Cycling-time trial)
· Take BRT to Golf Olímpico (Golf)
Sambódromo (Archery, Marathon*)
· From Botafogo Metro Station take Lines 1 or 2 to Central or Praça Onze stations
Maracanã/Maracanãzinho (Opening/closing ceremonies, Football-semis/final, Volleyball-indoor)
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Line 2 to São Cristóvão or Maracanã (or Line 1 to São Francisco Xavier)
Olympic Stadium Engenhão (Football-prelims, Athletics)
· From Botafogo metro station, take Lines 1 or 2 to Central station
· Transfer to SuperVía suburban trains
· Take SuperVía train towards Deoduro, Santa Cruz or Paracambi and alight at Olímpica de Engenho de Dentro station
Deodoro (BMX, Equestrian, Rugby, Canoe slalom, Modern Pentathlon, Hockey, Mountain Biking, Basketball-Women Prelims)
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Lines 1 or 2 to Central station
· Transfer to SuperVía suburban trains
· Take SuperVía train towards Deoduro, Santa Cruz or Paracambi and alight at Deoduro
Arena de Volei (Volleyball-beach)
· Walk to Copacabana beach via Rio Sul shopping center, tunnel and Avenida Princesa Isabel
Forte Copacabana (Triathlon**, Marathon swim, Cycling-road race***)
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Line 1 to Cantagalo Station
Estadio da Lagoa (Rowing, Canoe Sprint)
· From outside Botafogo Metro Station, take Metro Na Superficie bus to Maria Angelica
· Or 45 minute walk via Humaita
Marina da Gloria (Sailing)
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Lines 1 or 2 to Calete Station
Boulevard Olimpico (fanzone)
· From Botafogo Metro Station, take Lines 1 or 2 to Carioca Station
· Transfer to VLT (tram), disembark at Parada dos Museos
*Marathon can be viewed without a ticket on Avenida Infante Dom Henrique, (Catete Metro)
**Triathlon can be viewed without a ticket on Avenida Atlantica, Copacabana (Cantagolo Metro)
***Cycling Road Race can be viewed without a ticket on Francisco Otaviano (General Osorio Metro)