Save money by doing your own car maintenance!
Are you looking to save a little money by doing some of your own car maintenance? Toyota of Orlando is here to help you get started! We’ve selected some of the easiest DIY car maintenance jobs you can handle. That way, even if you’re just a novice you’ll be able to reap the benefits of doing your own car maintenance.
Easy DIY car maintenance projects
Changing your windshield wipers
It’s important to make sure you have working windshield wipers in Orlando. You never know when a random thunderstorm might occur! Here’s how you can easily change and setup new wiper blades.
- Lift up the blades as if you were washing your car by hand
- Remove the old blades from the arms, and pay attention to how they connected. To remove the blade, there’s usually a tab on the underside of the wiper. You’ll push this tab to remove the blade from the arm.
- When attaching the new blade, be sure to be careful not to bend the wiper arms or scratch the windshield.
- Line everything up to make sure you’ve attached the new blades tightly and securely.
Changing your air filters
Our Toyota service experts recommend changing your air filter at least once a year or every 12,000 miles. Changing your air filter is a simple task that usually takes only around ten minutes.
- Pop up the hood of your car. You’ll find the air filter in a black rectangular box with clips on the side
- Open up the box and pay attention to which way the air filter faces and how it fits inside
- Pull out the old air filter, throwing it out
- Insert a new air filter in the same direction that your previous air filter was facing
- Close the clips on the box to secure the filter in place
Checking your car tires
Keeping your car tires in shape is an important part of car maintenance. You may know how to change a car tire, but do you know how to keep your tires in good shape? Here are some tips to check out!
- Check the air pressure of each tire by using a tire pressure gauge. You can buy one to use on your own, or you can use one at locations like gas stations.
- Checking your tread depth is as easy as putting a penny onto your car tire. That’s actually exactly what you do. If you can see the top of Abraham Lincoln’s head, you may need to look into getting a new tire. It could mean that your tire’s tread it too low.
Toyota of Orlando is here for all your auto service needs
Whether you’re looking for car maintenance supplies at our Orlando parts center or coming in for some routine service you don’t think you can do on your own, Toyota of Orlando is here for you! You can visit us at 3575 Vineland Road just off I-4 near the Millenia Mall.