7 of the Best Beaches in Goa to Add to your Bucket List
From Querim beach in the north, to Agonda in the south, Swagatika Priyadarshini takes a look at seven of the best beaches in Goa that you simply have to go to when visiting this Western Indian paradise.
One of the most popular beach destinations in India, Goa is a traveller’s paradise. Of all the things to do here, heading for a beach is a must. This tiny Indian state, blessed with a picturesque coastline along the Arabian Sea, is one of the best places to go for guaranteed winter sun and offers myriad beaches to suit any holiday style. Be it lazing around or all-night partying; immersing in culture or getting high on adventure; shopping in vibrant markets or indulging in gastronomical delights, Swagatika rounds up the best beaches in Goa to do it all.
QUERIM BEACH, NORTH GOA
Querim beach, also known as Keri beach, is the northernmost beach in Goa. Almost deserted, this beach offers unparalleled tranquility. White sandy shores dotted with casuarinas trees and clear blue waters make it the perfect place to spend a lazy day. A handful of shacks offer refreshments, sunbeds and accommodation. River Terekhol forms an estuary near the beach. Across the river is the 17th-century Terekhol Fort (also referred to as Fort Tiracol), which has been converted into a hotel and can be reached by ferry. The fort has a church and offers stunning views of the sea and Querim beach.
- Highlights: Idyllic locale, Terekhol River Estuary, Terekhol Fort
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 65 km
- Stay: Take in the stunning views and enjoy a stay at Fort Tiracol itself.
ARAMBOL BEACH, NORTH GOA
Considered to be the hippie capital of Goa, Arambol is picking up local and international attention with its bohemian vibes. Large numbers of beach cafes, colourful markets, tattoo shops and yoga and meditation centres create an interesting milieu. The laid-back atmosphere during the day transforms by dark with candle-lit tables accompanied by enthralling live music and campfires in the evening. Arambol provides numerous cheap stay options like beach huts and homestays. The quieter beach of Kalacha lies adjacent to Arambol and can be reached through ‘Glastonbury Street’, an alley full of interesting shops and cafes. Situated on a cliff, the cafes provide a beautiful view of Arambol beach which also offers water sports, paragliding and kite surfing. Kalacha’s sweet water lake is popular with tourists for swimming. Visitors can take mud-baths in the sulphurous mud found in the adjacent forests, which are believed to have healing properties.
- Highlights: Sweet Lake, mud baths, water sports, paragliding, kite surfing, shopping, yoga
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 58 km
- Stay: The luxurious, five star W Goa resides just six miles from Arambol beach.
MANDREM AND ASHWEM BEACHES, NORTH GOA
The adjacent beaches of Mandrem and Ashwem offer a balance of luxury and serenity through multiple resorts and chic beach bars. Mandrem has a lot of up-scale resorts which serve as watering holes for celebrities, while Ashwem offers a range of low-cost huts as well as resorts. The shallow and calm waters make Ashwem one of the best places to swim in Goa. The long shoreline connecting Mandrem, Ashwem and Morjim, with clean, fine sand makes it the perfect place to go on a barefoot morning jog. A lot of spa and yoga centres in the region offer massages and yoga sessions for the tired and restless.
- Highlights: Luxury resorts, food and drinks, swimming, yoga
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 53 km
- Stay: The four star Riva Beach Resort is a stone’s throw from the beach and boasts its own spa and open-air restaurant.
MORJIM BEACH, NORTH GOA
Morjim, also known as Little Russia due to the large number of Russians visiting and residing here, is a quaint fishermen village set amidst lush green locales. It is the nesting grounds for Olive Ridley turtles. Late-night parties and constructions have been banned in the beach area for their conservation. Visitors can explore the village, observe fishermen going out into the sea and buy a fresh catch of the day for a good bargain. The beach shacks offer delectable local cuisines. Turtle and bird watching, as well as kite surfing are some of the activities promoted here.
- Highlights: Fishermen village, olive ridley turtles, bird watching, kite surfing
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 50 km
- Stay: Enjoy the swimming pool at FabHotel Retreat Morjim which is within walking distance of the beach.
ANJUNA BEACH, NORTH GOA
Anjuna is famous for its pulsating nightlife. Beach shacks and resorts host late night parties with a plethora of live music performances. Full-moon trance parties last till the wee hours and take place regularly in Anjuna. Visitors can enjoy drinks by campfires on the beach. Anjuna’s vibrant Wednesday flea market draws in hordes of tourists every week. Locals put up shops, selling everything from designer clothes to European food to local handicrafts. There is also a go-karting track near Anjuna which is hugely popular with travellers in pursuit of adrenaline rush.
- Highlights: Trance parties, live music, flea markets
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 50 km
- Stay: The Yuppi Hippi Hideout which boasts chilled vibes and overlooks the beach, is a great option for backpackers.
AGONDA BEACH, SOUTH GOA
One of Goa’s best kept secrets, Agonda is a serene and secluded beach. The cove is surrounded by a hill on one side and the white sand beach is dotted with casuarinas trees. One of the best beaches to view the sunset, Agonda comes without the frills of nightclubs, activities, markets and crowds. A couple of beach huts offer a ‘waking up to the sea’ experience. It is the perfect place for skinny dipping, lazing around with a book or going on a romantic stroll with your partner.
- Highlights: Idyllic locale, watching the sunset
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 60 km
- Stay: Enjoy life’s simple pleasures and book a beach bungalow on Agonda beach at Corvo Rindo Resort & Restaurant.
PALOLEM BEACH, SOUTH GOA
Palolem beach is one of the most splendid beaches in Goa. Long stretches of white sand shores dotted with palm groves and an abundance of shacks and beach accommodations, make it an ideal place for an unforgettable beach vacation. Tourists can take a boat trip to spot dolphins or engage in water sports during the day. In the evening, silent disco parties come alive where tourists can dance under the starry sky with headphones on. The shacks offer toothsome local and international cuisine to indulge in.
- Highlights: Idyllic locale, dolphin spotting, silent disco parties, food and drinks, water sports
- Distance from Dabolim Airport: 61 km
- Stay: Stay in a beach hut right next to Palolem beach at Ourem Palace.
Originally published at www.travioor.com.