In-game balance in Treasure Island NFT game
How do we keep things fun for everyone, aka in-game balance. Please read our introduction article to know what our game is about!
The game itself is a combination of strategy and a bit of luck: minting phase will randomly give different starting values for the island resources and the difficulty of the journey ahead. It is up to the player to select from minted islands the strategically best one, or ones, to play with. The initial values are then balanced with math to make sure there will not be too much advantage for anyone. Also, player attendance is needed at right times throughout the game so there’s more than just luck needed to succeed.
So, how do we balance things?
When we started concepting the Treasure Island game, we immediately realized that proper balancing would be one of the most important, and also challenging, tasks to do. Balancing is a fine line between a) giving some advantage for those who were lucky enough to mint an island with great traits, and b) keeping it fair and fun to play so that every token still has a chance to make it to the treasure island if the player makes the right decisions. To make this happen, we added balancing in multiple steps to several different places throughout the game:
- Traits and attributes (e.g., resource production, army price/size, ship price/attributes, voyage difficulty): mathematical analysis/calculations were used to find a proper average values, variance, and balance between different traits/attributes
- Minting: balancing is done by weighting randomly generated traits so that average values are more common than both extremes
- Game mechanics was first mathematically balanced using statistical methods
- Everything adjusted and fine-tuned by using simulations
– a fully functioning game simulation
– run in a locally hosted Ethereum node
– running through tens of thousands of moves / iterations
With the excessive effort put in balancing, we hope to provide you with a fun and fair gaming experience that gives room for both luck and strategy.
Treasure Island NFT is going to launch in summer 2022! The game will be played directly from our website and it’s deployed on the Ethereum blockchain. We are publishing more articles closer to the launch so stay tuned.
With years of experience in tech and crypto working separately, we decided to form The Crimson Crew to combine our skills and interests. We are approaching the NFT scene from an unique angle now and in the future. We have previously launched NFT projects and are involved in crypto in general too. Follow and stay with us as we explore the endless possibilities of these new technologies!