Online learning is undoubtedly growing like never before and newer trends are taking traction. The year 2019 has come with some new trends in online learning that were not there in previous years. These new trends are moving every one of us towards the future we’ve all been preparing for and putting more emphasis on why online learning is a better option than traditional learning. Here is a list of 5 online learning trends that the year 2019 has brought with it.
- Microlearning: This deals with relatively small learning units and short-term learning activities. A lot of organizations have employed the use of microlearning in 2019 because this method of learning through small chunks is easy to employ and improves knowledge retention for learners. Learners also benefit from this method because they don’t have to worry about going through long boring modules and it can be implemented on all devices and made more interactive through videos, small games, quizzes, and infographics.
2. Artificial intelligence (AI): A recent study discovered that the application of AI in education will grow by 47.5% through 2021. In the year 2019, Artificial Intelligence has become one of the major strengths of online learning because of its personalized learning. It accesses information from learners' past modules like their strengths and weaknesses and uses the data to personalize learning by recommending modules fit for such learners. To also make the online learning process easier, there are intelligent chatbots that can act as support for technical queries and are available 24/7.
3. Gamification: The gamification approach boosts motivation in individuals through video game designs and game elements that enable them to learn for rewards. It has been proven that games help in releasing happy hormones such as dopamine and serotonin, therefore learning through gamification takes all the edge off and allows learners have fun while learning while also improving learner’s experience. Gamification can provide more understanding into a learner’s progress and highlight strengths and weaknesses to help Learning managers create better learning strategies in the future. Gamification seems like a trend that is here to stay.
4. AR/VR: Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality have grown in 2019 and are going to keep growing rapidly in the years to come. Augmented Reality combines digital information with a physical, real-world environment whose features are supplemented by computer-generated sensory input like video, graphics, sounds or GPS data while Virtual reality (Computer-simulated reality) clones a physical environment in the real world or an imagined world and allows users interact in that world like they are there. AR and VR allow learners to connect to the content of their learning modules better by allowing them to absorb themselves in an engaging 3D environment and practice without fear.
5. Video-based Learning: Video-based Learning is the hottest trend right now because it is an indispensable part of learning. Learning managers have discovered that adopting more videos into their training play an integral part in disseminating information better to learners. The millennial generation prefers viewing videos to reading books or documents because videos add life to concepts, make online learning engaging and support microlearning. The video-based learning method will continue to grow in 2019 and beyond.
These trends are providing a more learner-centric, personalized and engaging online learning experience and can only get better as technology develops. We’re looking forward to 2020 and we can’t wait to see what new trends emerge.
Had a good read? Click the share button to spread it around.