It can be frustrating as an entrepreneur that your personal wellbeing is often so entangled with how well your company and team are doing. Equally, however, when the company is doing well, there’s such an air of fulfilment and tranquility around everyone and everything.
For me, that often feels even more complex, because if it’s going really well in one of the companies I’m part of, somewhere else there’s usually a fire that needs to be put out. Total peace is rare.
This Friday evening, however, it feels like everything is in a perfect state. I feel comfortable switching off my phone when my flight lands this evening and enjoying the weekend.
So, on to what I learned this week:
- Company culture and building teams is super complex. You can’t force a certain culture, but you can certainly gather a group of likeminded people and now and then give them a gentle push in the right direction. As long as everyone feels like they have their own distinct place in the team and have something to contribute, they will be motivated to work toward a common goal and collaborate with each other.
- I learned the hard way (during a demo to a customer) that C#
Collectionobject don’t like it when you call
.Add(key, value)with the same key twice, and that it will result in your app crashing and burning.
- Related lesson: make sure that the data you are testing your app with is worse than you could ever imagine real world data being, like duplicate entries with the same identifier, even though that should never be possible to begin with 😭.
- Related lesson: I’d rather stick to building mobile and Mac apps than Windows software.
- Upgrading an app from React Native 0.57 to 0.59 takes longer than that 2 hours that you initially scheduled for it.
- CSV parsing is harder than you might think.