Dear Daddy,

Before I start this letter, I want to apologize because raising a teenage girl might be one of the biggest challenges a father will ever have to go through. I say this because growing up, I caused you a lot of grey hairs. You would always argue with me about the clothes I was wearing and the amount of makeup I had on. Well, now I understand why. You didn’t want me growing up as fast as I did. You taught me how to be independent and stand up for myself because you told me, you would always be there but if there was a time that you couldn’t be, I had to know how to protect myself. But you never cease to amaze me because you were and always are there, even if I had the slightest issue, you would be there in a heart beat. Whether I acted in a school play, graduated kindergarten or had a volleyball or softball game, you would always be there. At my volleyball games, you have always been my number one fan. You would scream my name at the top of your lungs and we would look at each other and smile because we knew how funny you looked when you were going crazy cheering for me. Every ball I dove for, spiked or dug up, you couldn’t clap your hands fast enough. Your eyes would light up with hope, hope that I would get the ball over the net and in and hope that I would be cheering just as loud as you did.

During my first relationship with my first real boyfriend, when I told you I thought I was falling in love, you looked at me like I had ten heads. You asked me if I was sure of myself and I told you that I was 95% sure and you said, “Well what about the other 5%?” I could tell that this moment was your worst nightmare, but we got through it. Throughout our years together we have experienced so much. We fought, argued and disagreed on things that weren’t worth fighting over, but we did anyways. You taught me how to ride a bike without falling off 10,000 times, you taught me how to work on cars, how to run a crane, how to sing, how to dance, how to throw a ball etc. From the time I could stand on my two feet I was always daddy’s little helper. You told me I would hike through the woods and look for coyotes by myself with just a flashlight. I can clearly recall the day you taught me how to ride a bike. You told me I needed to keep my balance the way that ballerinas keep their balance when their dancing in their pointe shoes, so I did. Your words helped me learn so quickly and efficiently. Even though you would get frustrated with me when I messed up, it taught me to be strong and fearless in every single situation.

In my future, your opinion will matter to me just as much as it is does now. One day when I get married, I am going to need to buy dress and even though you aren’t the biggest fashionista out there you opinion will always matter the most. Every little girl looks up to their father, and I have and always will look up to you. Sometimes we get frustrated with each other but you’ve only been a father for as long as I’ve been a daughter and when we learn, we learn together. We have been through so much together and we learned a lot about forgiveness, hope, and how important it is to live every single day to the fullest as if it’s our last. We will always share a special relationship daddy, no matter what I will always be your little girl and I will always love you more than words can even say. I love you to the moon and back. YMB.



Like what you read? Give Tanner a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.