The 2019 Hurricane Season officially started June 1, but as we know in Texas, a disaster can strike at any time. Make sure your family and pets are prepared today by gathering supplies for your emergency kit.
When gathering supplies, keep these tips in mind:
· Plan for your entire household including children, people with disabilities and access and functional needs, and pets.
· Collect enough supplies for at least three days.
· Don’t forget to charge electronics you may need.
· Prepare your vehicle by keeping your gas tank at least half-full at all times and keep basic emergency supplies (e.g., snacks, bottled water, first aid kit, flashlight, flares, jumper cables and other tools, a wool blanket, and a change of clothes) in your vehicle.
· Medical supplies for any current or unexpected medical conditions your family may have.
· Tools and safety items like matches, flashlights, a multi-purpose tool, and a whistle can make a huge difference for your family while weathering the storm.
· Keep a three-day supply of non-perishable food and water for your family. Remember to pack anything specific to your family’s needs.
· Personal hygiene and sanitation items.
· Grab comfort and priceless items. You may be away from your home for an extended period and your property may be damaged. Grab any items that are irreplaceable or may provide comfort to your family, especially your children.
For more disaster preparedness tips, Texans can follow along on social media, watch the GLO’s preparedness tips on YouTube, and find resources for family and pet preparedness at www.recovery.texas.gov/preparedness