How to do keto practically
This is how I do keto. Purists need not read any further. For everyone else, this is a realistic approach to keto from the perspective of someone who cares about how things taste and has better things to do than keep a food diary or pee on ketone test strips.
Sorry, but I’m not buying MCT oil or psyllium husk. I’m buying what I can find in the goddamn grocery store for a reasonable price.
This is more staples than a complete list.
- Store brand 80% lean ground beef.
Obviously grass-fed is better if you can afford it…
- Store brand pork chops.
- Purdue pre-packaged chicken breasts.
I freeze them and use as needed. Very convenient.
- Buffalo chicken salad.
- Lunch meats with no preservatives.
- Cheese sticks.
- Cheese squares.
Processed cheese is bad but I don’t care.
- Shredded cheese.
For now, store brand. In the future, I might switch to Kerrygold because the cows are grass-fed and it’s supposedly better for you.
- Ranch dressing.
Try to find low-carb dressings and sauces.
- BBQ sauce.
Very small amount at a time because it’s not exactly keto-friendly.
- STōK unsweetened iced coffee.
- Heavy cream.
Put it in iced coffee. It makes the drink kind of greasy and honestly half and half tastes better but it’s a small trade-off because the extra fat is good for the diet.
- Coke Zero Sugar.
I don’t care about the effects on insulin response. It doesn’t have carbs or sugar. I need it to continue the diet long-term and be happy. Sue me.
- Diet lemon iced tea.
- Salad kits.
- Beef jerky.
- Pork rinds.
Doesn’t taste as good as chips. Takes some getting used to.
- 86% cacao dark chocolate.
Higher percentage is better. Not sure if it tastes worse though.
Some Meal Ideas
- Grilled chicken salad with ranch.
- Lettuce-wrapped bacon cheeseburger.
- Lettuce-wrapped chicken bacon sandwich.
- BBQ pork chops.
- Bacon and eggs.
- Grilled shrimp with lemon.
- Grilled chicken with caramelized onions and mushrooms.
Keto Stuff I’ve Tried That Sucks
- Riced cauliflower.
Just can’t get into it. Others might not mind though.
Things I’m Looking Into
- Making good-tasting keto sandwich bread that resembles real bread and doesn’t deflate.
- Trying zucchini noodles.
- Finding more keto recipes.
- Learning more about reasonable supplements.
- My energy levels have improved. Crashes are gone. I’ve lost some weight and I feel better generally.
- Biggest staple that I miss is bread. I’m trying to come up with a solution.
- Wrapping everything in lettuce sucks big time.
- Giving up sugar is hard but not as hard as you might think.
- If you tell anyone you’re going keto, you’ll probably get resistance. If you’re easily discouraged, it’s better to keep it to yourself.
- Instead of trying to figure out how you can integrate fast food (no bun, artificial sweeteners, etc.) into your diet, just avoid it altogether. Unnecessary temptation.
- If you live with others, tell them not to leave high-carb/high-sugar foods laying around. It’s hard to have self-control at 1 AM with a package of cookies in the kitchen.