The Day the Fascist Snowflakes Came to Cancel a Black Lady and a Brown Dude

It began, strangely enough, a noted leftist journalist, who once used to be widely admired. He singled out two minorities — Imani Gandy, a well-known Twitter personality, and, well me. Imani made a joke: “Petition to put white cis dudes on a barge and float them out to sea.” I…

The Fundamental Challenge of the 21st Century is Making a Fairer World — And We’re Not

After the recent horrific attack on a synagogue — hostages taken — I was talking with a Jewish friend. Commiserating, maybe. Will it ever end, she asked? Why do they hate us — still and always?

These are bleak times. Fascism, pandemic, collapse. And as we talked, we ended up…

These Are the Last Stages of American Collapse — And Americans Still Don’t Get It

You can see America’s future unfolding from here, and it isn’t pretty. It goes like this.

The Biden administration is, as many have described, “flailing” and “failing” and “struggling.” It is unable to get much of anything done. That is because, of course, of what are described as two “moderates”…

Americans Don’t Understand What Violence Really Is — And So They’re Stuck in a Vicious Cycle of It

Over the last few months it’s become horrifically clear that America is still riven by its original sin: the issue of race. A mini-Trump was elected as Governor of Virginia on a platform against “critical race theory.” Teachers are receiving death threats for…teaching kids about race. …

Britain Used to Be the Envy of the World. Today It’s a Laughingstock. Is it Finally Ready to Change Course?

It’s not just funny but it’s also fitting — that it’s taken the scandal, now called “Partygate” to change the suicide pact currently known as “British politics.” Britain’s in tatters, a wreck. And Christmas parties were the straw that broke the camel’s weary back? Ah, but it makes perfect sense…

Fascism is Coming to America and It’s Going to Be Much, Much Worse Than You Can Possibly Imagine

You’re probably scared and frightened and a little bit shocked. Fascism’s coming to America. Now that the Dems can’t even pass their voting rights bill, it’s all but a sure thing.

Do you really want to know what it’s going to be like now that the fascists are coming for…

Our Leaders Are in Denial About What Science Has to Say — And the Result is Adding Disaster to Catastrophe

The most dismal development of 2022 — and there are going to be a lot of them — is already easy to see: the politicisation of the pandemic. It comes from a weird, emerging set of people — not just politicians, but also doctors and scientists who seem to have…

All the Catastrophes that Were Dismissed as Alarmism Are Now Coming True — All At Once

We used to think of the future — at least the lucky ones, the 20% of humanity that grew rich by abusing and enslaving the other 80% — as a kind of technological utopia. We’d solved all the following problems. Politics: the answer was, apparently, neoliberalism. Economics: the answer was…

Why “Learning to Live With the Pandemic” is an Intellectual Fraud and a Moral Disgrace

There’s something ugly happening which even I find shocking. And if you read me regularly, you know that’s saying something. I’ve toyed long and hard with writing this post and putting it the way I’m going to. I’m going to give it to you straight, in five steps.

Every day…

umair haque

vampire.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store