Product Manager’s expectations from the Scrum Master
As a Product Manager (PM), I have experienced that having a good Scrum Master (SM) plays significantly influential role across product development life-cycle. In this story, we will identify main characteristics the benefits about how agile team can achieve more by following processes to achieve more business value for the product.
Main characteristics of a Scrum Master:
- The SM must be technical, should understand the proper engineering practices that the team will follow during sprints.
- The SM should lead the team as a Servant Leader. As if the SM has the accountability and power but without any authority.
- To be precisely to manage the scrum processes effectively, the SM should devote at least 50% of time in solving various issues of team members from technical, operational or any other type where the team is stuck or will stuck in future. And remaining time in leading the team to follow scrum processes across product development life-cycle.
- SM should speak the language of the developer in a way that they get inspired to perform respective actions.
- Facilitate all scrum framework ceremonies with an attitude of making a way out of any disagreement situation.
- Support the product team and engineering team to gauge the time line of functionality, feature, epic or theme.
- Streamline various activities after story consent with engineering team to its actual delivery.
- Be a face of engineering team for outside world.
- Agile methodology is all about mindset of the team. The SM gives confidence to all other stakeholders about the execution process of the team.
- Being a process coach the SM will empower engineering team and the product team to take respective decisions and act accordingly for the best outcome of the user story, sprint, epic, release or the theme.
- Following agile methodology using scrum framework based processes helps entire scrum team with other stakeholders to have a product visibility. This facilitates members across teams to take short term and long term decisions efficiently for the product.
- Everyday the SM needs to face the new challenges of the scrum team. To solve it at the earliest the SM must keep the legs into team’s shoes. Actually this act only connects the team members to give their best for the product.
- It’s not just about conducting scrum ceremonies, it’s more about extracting maximum values (business, operations, technology) in minimum time. This will improve the trust factor across teams.
- It’s all about working in collaborative environment to take the product development not just forward but upward while creating direct or indirect business benefits.
- This gives complete accountability to the SM to execute the sprint to achieve its goal.
- Being the voice of the engineering team is significant responsibility of the product. As the SM knows the inside story of engineering team and the product team, can become a bridge for ease of operations.