Gluten free , Vegan cooking :Green Lentil Crepes with Vegetable filling
Vegan crepes filled with yummy beetroot, carrot and bean sprouts filling ….
Today has been a great day… My friend Soumya and I discovered a new park nearby and we have decided to go daily for a nice walk and explore nature in and around. Well the walk amidst the nature was fun and refreshing and the park was beautiful with full of greenery and natural beauty around. We discovered so many different trails and definitely plan to explore more in the coming days…
After the tiring walk I definitely wanted something healthy and nutritious as well as loaded with proteins, vitamins and minerals. Well immediately I knew I had to make these vegan green lentil crepes which has been my favorite breakfast since childhood…. Whenever my mom used to make the batter for the crepes she used to make it in bulk and we used to gorge on it everyday till the batter was over… In India these crepes are called pesarattu dosa but whatever name they always taste awesome.
Well being a nutritionist always makes me think of how to enhance my food nutritionally and hence I decided to add some vegetables to these awesome crepes… The beet and carrot makes these crepes super filling and nutritious.
Lentils are an excellent source of folate, manganese, fiber and vegetable protein. The fiber, folic acid and potassium in lentils all support heart health. Beet root and carrots are also an excellent source of folic acid, calcium, iron, vitamin A, C and K to name a few.These crepes would be an excellent breakfast during pregnancy as you can get complex carbs from the lentils which helps for morning sickness and the good amount of folic acid which is an important component for the development of the unborn child’s spinal cord..
The best part I loved about these crepes is that they are gluten free, dairy free and super tasty ( ticking on all the three boxes 😉).
I hope you guys enjoy these superlicious crepes and would love to hear how did they turn out…
Green lentil crepes with Vegetable filling
Prep time 30 mins
Cooking time 30 mins
Yields 6 crepes
Green lentils 1/2 cup
Green chillies/ cayenne pepper 1 to 2
Beetroot 1 peeled and grated
Carrots 1 peeled and grated
Red onion chopped 1/2 cup
Bean sprouts 1/4 cup
Garlic cloves 3 minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Mint chutney 1 to 2 tbsp
- Soak the split green lentils for 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the strained lentils in a mixer along with 1 cayenne pepper, salt and 2 to 3 tbsp of water. The batter should not be too runny nor too thick.
- Once ground transfer the batter to a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and add the minced garlic and onions and cook till the onion turns translucent for around 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add the grated beetroot, carrots, bean sprouts, salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium high stirring continuously for around 2 mins and switch off the flame.
- Heat a skillet or a non stick pan, when hot pour a ladleful of the batter and spread the crepes in a circular motion as thin as possible.
- Once cooked on one side place one to two tbsp of the filling in the center of the crepes and roll it gently.
- Once rolled you can transfer it to the serving dish.
- Serve hot with mint chutney.
Nutrient value per crepe
Carbs 13.3 gms
Proteins 4.2 gms
Fat 2.6 gms
Weight watchers points 3
For more recipes like these follow me on Pinterest and check out my profile Doshi689 or my passion cooking page on Facebook.