Healthy Burger Week Recipe 1: Eggplant Hummus Veggie Burger
It’s that time of the year again to get our grills out and enjoy the charcoal fun….Somehow the food tastes awesome when you grill it,and I am a big fan of grilled vegetables. They become super moist and taste yumm with some barbecue sauce or just a smear of olive oil with garlic powder, salt, chili flakes and oregano.
My brother loves eating roasted eggplant slices, he can have loads of it anytime of the day. I remember many times my mom made that as a side dish for our dinner and it used to be over in minutes. Roasted eggplant tastes awesome added in anything that is sandwiches, lasagna, or just have them plain….
I love eating burgers and as being on a diet I constantly crave for all these fatty foods. The other day I came across a recipe which had roasted eggplant In a burger…. And immediately I decided that I had to make these…As you all know I prefer making meals that does not require much of preparations and are healthy and tasty…this recipe serves all the three purpose, of being healthy, tasty and ready in minutes. Perfect way to satisfy my cravings without any guilt😉.
Instead of the normal hamburger bun I have used the Ezekiel Sprouted grain English Muffin as a burger bun,well you can use any bun you love eating….
This entire week I will be posting recipes of vegetarian burgers which can be enjoyed without any guilt of those extra calories. I hope you guys enjoy making these super simple and healthy alternative to a fried meaty burger….
Eggplant Hummus Veggie Burger
Preparation time 10 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
Makes 2 burgers
2 tbsp olive oil
4 thick slice of eggplant
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin/ 2 hamburger buns
Red onion slices
2 slices of Kraft slim cut Swiss cheese ( optional)
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and let stand for 30 minutes and pat dry.
- In a small bowl stir together olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush each side of the eggplant slices.
- Heat a pan or BBQ grill and cook each eggplant slice for 3 to 4 minutes on both the sides.
- Toast or grill the buns. Top the bottom of the bun with lettuce leaves, some cucumber slices, tomato slices, onion slice and an eggplant slice. Then spread desired amount of garlic hummus.
- Top with another eggplant slice, some tomato and cucumber slices,a slice of cheese and top of the bun, or use your preferred toppings and enjoy!!!!
Nutrient serving per Burger
Carbs 23.8 gms
Protein- 6.7 gms
Fat 12 gms
Weight watchers points: 7