Aromatic basmati rice sautéed with vegetable and spices.
Tawa Pulao is a famous Mumbai street food… you will always see this accompanied with Pav bhaji. It’s normally made in the same Tawa (skillet) in which the bhaji is made and the speciality of this Pulao is the taste of the pav bhaji in the Pulao.
I am a big fan of pav bhaji… I can have it daily.. and as Tawa Pulao has the taste of the pav bhaji masala I knew definitely had to make it.
It tastes super yumm and the best part is it’s super easy and quick to cook. It turns out best with the left over rice.
You can get the pav bhaji masala from any Indian grocery store of various brands like MDH, Everest, badshah. I normally use Badshah’s mumbai pav bhaji masala.
Tawa Pulao goes best with some onion tomato or cucumber Raita and some papad and pickle.
Prep time 45 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
Yields 3–4 servings.
1 cup basmati rice or long grained rice
4 cups of water for cooking the rice
2 to 3 drops of oil
salt as required
For tawa pulao:
1 medium capsicum chopped
2 large tomatoes Or 150 grams tomatoes chopped
1 medium onion Or 50 grams onions chopped
½ inch ginger) + 2–3 garlic made into a paste in a mortar-pestle Or 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
¼ teaspoon red chili powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon pav bhaji masala or add as required
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoon butter or oil or half-half of both
1 small to medium carrot chopped
1 medium potato chopped
½ cup green peas fresh or frozen
½ teaspoon lemon juice or as required
a few chopped coriander/ cilantro leaves
salt as required
- Rinse the rice grains till the water runs clear of starch.
- Soak the rice in enough water for 20–30 mins. Drain and then add the rice to a pot.
- Pour 4 cups water in the rice. Add salt and few drops of oil.
- Stir, cover and cook the rice till the grains are cooked well.
- The rice grains should be separate and cooked well.
- Do not cook the rice too much as it will spoil the texture of the pulao.
- Once done drain the the cooked rice in a strainer.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork.
- Once all the steam has passed from the rice, cover the rice with a lid so that the rice grains do not dry out.
- Let the rice cool and you can proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Steam the carrot, potato and green peas till all of them are cooked well in a steamer, pan or pressure cooker.
- Peel and chop the carrot and potatoes. keep aside.
- In a pan or kadai/wok melt the butter. add the cumin and fry them till they get browned.
- Add the finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma goes away.
- Then add the finely chopped tomatoes and capsicum/bell pepper.
- Stir and add all the spice powders — turmeric, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala.
- Stir again and saute the whole mixture till you see butter releasing from the sides.
- Add the chopped potato, carrot and peas. sprinkle salt and stir.
- Add the cooked basmati rice and gently mix the veggies with the rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and sprinkle some lemon juice on the tava pulao.
- Serve the tava pulao hot with some onion tomato raita/cucumber raita /plain yogurt accompanied with papad and pickle.
Nutrient value per serving
Calories 199 kcal
Carbs 30.9 gms
Proteins 4.2 gms
Fat 6 gms
Weight watchers points 7
For more recipes like these follow me on Pinterest and check out my profile Doshi1698 or my Passion cooking page on Facebook.