WordPress April in short:
All of April has been a approach to the WordPress 5.2 release with a Beta 2, Beta 3 and a 5.2 Release Candidate. Version 5.2 was schedueld for release on April 30th but has been bumped to Tuesday May 7th.
The most notable changes for developers in 5.2 will be:
- A minimum requirement of PHP 5.6.20 .
- There will be some new Dashicons.
- A new plugin headers which, among other things, can set Minimum PHP Version Requirements.
- Site health tests wil be filterable via site_status_tests hook meaning plugins or themes may add their own tests.
- And a brand-new wp_body_open() template tag and action will let themes, and plugins, add content right after the <body> is opened.
WordPress Updates and releases:
- April 26th: WordPress 5.2 Release Candidate.
- April 12th: WordPress 5.2 Beta 3.
- April 9th: WordPress 5.2 Beta 2.
WordPress tutorials and resources:
- How to disable WordPress plugins from loading on specific pages and posts by Brian Jackson.
- Optimising WordPress beyond cache techniques by Gabriel Guerra.
- How to build a blog with Wordpress and Gatsby.js part 1, part 2 and part 3 by Tim Smith.
- How to properly interact with WordPress databases by Digital Noir.
- Default WordPress image sizes and how to add custom sizes by Felicia Ceballos-Marroquin.
- HTTP to HTTPS and non-www to www redirection simpliest brifiest explanation for WordPress by Musa Toktaş.
- WordPress TTFB (Time To First Byte) from zero to hero part 1 by Alaa Alsalehi.
- Simplifying WordPress’s functions.php with OOP by Tyler Smith.
- Utilising WordPress media library for uploading files by Kelin Chauhan.
- My article: WordPress: Managing your theme’s footer with widgets by Vanaf1979.
Web development tutorials and resources:
- The Front-end Developer Handbook 2019 by Cody Lindley.
- HighwayJs is a modern library by Dogstudio to create AJAX navigations with animations.
- PHP the right way by Josh Lockhart.
- How I added dark mode to my website by Jonathan Sexton.
- CSS masonry with flexbox, :nth-child(), and order by Tobias Ahlin.
- Follow these steps to become a CSS Superstar by Preetish HS.
- The dialog element: The way to create tomorrow’s modal windows by Abhishek Jakhar.
- Learn how to make Diagonal Containers in CSS by Sebastiano Guerriero.
- Stop using so many divs! An intro to semantic HTML by Ken Bellows.
Have a great May.