A bit over a year ago, I asked a girl that I met at a recruiting event to be a part of our sustainability group project. Fast forward to July 2015, this wonderful human being let me stay with her as I started my new life in San Francisco (luv u Shereen + Skamper).
Anyway, I’m a year older so here are some random thoughts and reflections (as you can see, I’m really trying to follow that “Better done than perfect” philosophy).
Some Things I’ve Learned at Work
- Work is more productive when you’re having fun (obvious, I know).
- Always say ‘yes’ when presented with a new challenge.
- ….But also don’t be afraid to say ‘No — I need help / I can’t take this on’.
- Be your own cheerleader and vocalize what you’re working on (in the correct forum though…never ‘Reply All’.)
- Feedback is hard and you’ll naturally want to avoid it. But being really open about your weaknesses and seeking feedback often will help you grow (you are also probably your harshest critic).
- In sales, energy changes from low to high so frequently. Visualize the big picture and the end goal if you find yourself getting stuck in the details.
And some things I’ve learned outside the office…
- Online dating isn’t awful! Be open to meeting new people, and if things don’t work out, be upfront so the other person doesn’t feel like their time has been wasted.
- Another note on online dating / life — be BOLD and don’t be afraid. This is going to sound so cliché but “regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.” — Sydney J. Harris
- Find what lights your fire and do it. Create! Build! Make!
- Gratitude and positive energy is so important. Every night, Chris and I do “rose, rose, thorn, bud” which translates into “2 things I’m grateful for, 1 thing bothering me, and 1 thing I’m looking forward to tomorrow.” (This is an idea I got from a podcast where Neil Pasricha — author of “The Book of Awesome” — was featured.)
- The best friends will bring you McDs when you’re hungover / call you on Saturday morning to discuss life decisions / take you on adventures / encourage you to be your best self.
- Always have SNACKS. So important for everything and the easiest way to one’s heart.
- Call mom.
A little about me
Currently obsessed with hand lettering, bullet journals, pizza/poutine/Big Macs, corgis, brie cheese and trying to find the right foundation.
Blogging more about my projects/thoughts on www.victorialimary.com. Would love to connect! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to chat about events :)