A little background…
When I was in school, I spent my time playing football/cricket, watching television, hanging out with friends, playing games on the computer or reading books. I did not have a phone or internet connection, so, I was not hooked onto the internet yet. But I was never a serial reader. I read maybe a book or two (apart from school books) per year. But this all changed when I got my phone and got connected to the internet. I spent all my time browsing feeds, watching videos and slowly but surely got completely disconnected with books.
Then one day when I found a book I wanted to read but I couldn’t. This was because I wasn’t able to sit long enough. I would sit, read a little and start doing something else. And when I would sit again to read, I would have forgotten what I read earlier and I would have to start again. This continued for a year.
So, I decided this had to stop. I tried several techniques and after several failed attempts, I finally found something that worked.
- Make sure that the book is divided into sections(There should be around 10–15 chapters).
- Depending on the length of chapters, it would take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to read.
- Select a time to read. The best time is either early in the morning or before going to sleep. Doing it in the morning is better in the long run. But I would suggest that you start by reading before going to sleep.
- When you are reading make sure that you are isolated(Keep your phone/laptop away in a different room).
- Start reading and make sure that you complete one chapter. This is where sections will help, you will know your daily goal. You can read multiple chapters in a day, but I would suggest to keep it to one initially.
- Make sure that you read daily.
- Once you complete your first book, you’ll feel amazing. You may want to take a break before going onto the next book. Don’t take a break, start reading another book from the next day.
- After a while, you’ll become natural. Then you can start reading in any book in any way you like.
These are the things which worked for me. This method is based on changing the environment to change a habit. This is a general outline which you can choose to follow exactly or you can modify it according to your needs.
Also, if you are already trying another technique, don’t change to this one. This is something which I did a lot. Stick to a technique for at least a month. Don’t change just because you think you found something better.
Feedback is welcomed.
Check me out at geekyjock.me