Type Design Journal — Part 3

As I wrote in the previous post I made some adjustments to the uppercase. I made just small fixes, at first they might be hard to see, but for me these make all the difference.

The reason why I made these changes, is that I noticed that the thick strokes of the uppercase are thicker than the thick strokes of the lowercase. This doesn’t make much sense. If we imagine that these character were all written with the same tool, the strokes would all be equally thick, right?

This is a screenshot of how the typeface looked before.

And in this image you can see how it looks now.

I’m not sure whether you can tell the difference, but to me it feels more consistent now. It also looks a bit lighter.

There are still some decisions I have to make. Right now, I’m not liking how the “x” connects to the other letters. The entrance stroke still needs some refining, because it creates too much space (on the left side of the “x”).

Making a script font is really hard and a real challenge, especially due to some connections. I should probably have chosen a simpler design for my first font, but now it’s too late for that. It would have been wiser, but I’m not really complaining. To be honest I like challenges.