Trader Joe’s Paleo Shopping List
I can’t claim that Paleo is the healthiest diet out there, but I do believe that Ancestral eating is a great blueprint that factors millions of years of pre-agricultural evolution.
I also love Trader Joe’s, because it’s one of the few grocery stores that gives some real Paleo-friendly food options. Below are some can’t-miss Paleo finds at Trader Joe’s:
- Coconut Amino’s
- Pre-Cut Organic Salad Mixes. Great for Quick Salads. I stock up on the Dinosaur Kale (aka Tuscan Kale), freezing it to use in Smoothies
- Grass-Fed, Nitrate-Free Hot Dogs (some Paleo purists will say that hot dogs are not allowed, but grass-fed, minimally processed dogs are too awesome to pass up
- Raw Almond Butter* — as with many nuts, keep consumption to a minimum to not over-do it on the super inflammatory Omega 6's
- Cacao Powder and Nibs — perfect for that Tuscan-Kale Smoothie.
- Sweeteners — Organic Maple Syrup, Real Honey and Stevia are Ancestral sweetener options. Keep it to a minimum, but not a bad option to have.
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Wild Caught Sardines* — Naturally low in mercury, sardines are one of the healthiest protein and Omega 3 sources on earth
- Coconut Milk*
- Organic Wild Berries, especially Blueberries
- California Estate Extra Virgin Olive Oil — there’s some evidence that imported olive oil is more likely to be rancid due to shipping times. California Olive oil is where it’s at**
- Avacado Oil — Trader Joe’s has some of the best priced Avacado Oil on the market
- Nutritional Yeast — a great dairy alternative, especially if baking kale chips
- Montezumas Dark Chocolate — I don’t know if al Trader Joe’s carry this brand, but it’s one of the cleanest dark chocolate bars I’ve found
- Riced Cauliflower and Riced Broccoli — Cooked it up with some Coconut Amino’s and you have a perfect Asian-inspired Paleo Dinner
- Gerolsteiner Mineral Water. Unlike Pellegrino, this German Sparkling Water lists its mineral content right on the label.
*Please note that the BPA levels of the packaging are suspect, and may be linked to hormonal disruption in the body. We don’t know.
**Previous Post on Rancid Olive Oil.
Originally published at vladdit.