How Private Are You?
It’s important to be aware that regardless of what kind of social media platform you use, your information can be accessed by many others! The highlight however, is that YOU are the one in control of that.
Today we’re going to be focusing on Facebook.
Now, you’re probably telling yourself that you have your privacy managed, but did you know that every so often Facebook updates their privacy settings? New updates, new changes. So, just to be on the safe side, here are a few tips to ensure you have your Facebook privacy under control.
What YOU Can Control
As a Facebook user, your general information, your timeline/tags, as well as your public posts are often set as public. You have the ability to adjust your settings, and allow who can view your page; such as the public, friends, or only you.
You can access your privacy settings on the top right hand corner of your account page, and edit your privacy via the shortcut options or ‘see more options’ located at the bottom of the tab.
- Who can see your stuff — (future posts, posts that you’re tagged in)
- Who can contact you — (friend requests, message requests)
- Who can look you up — (via email, phone number, search engine)
TIMELINE AND TAGGING:
- Who can add things to your Timeline — (posts, images, etc.)
- Who can see things on your Timeline — (posts that you’re tagged in, other posts, etc.)
- How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions — (review, audience)
- Who can follow you
- Public post comments/notifications
- Public Profile
It is never too safe to be on the safe side of social media. Social media platforms are usually the go to when someone is interested in looking you up; ‘coughs’ employers. With that being said, it’s probably best to keep your private life private, or at least at a minimum.