I can understand how you might be confused. Gavin doxxed me and my family to intimidate me into not publishing how web archive links show how he was gaslighting friends, his employer and the press.
What follows is a slightly edited version of what I wrote:
Gavin claims to have disavowed the Unite the Right rallies, but this is a rewriting of history. Website snapshots reveal that Proud Boy Magazine altered the article to make it appear they had disavowed the Charlottesville ‘Unite the Right’ rally for months. The truth is they accidentally disavowed it for about 12 hours and “encouraged” it for nearly two months.
– On the Proud Boys Facebook page, Gavin wrote, “the elders have told me to DISAVOW” but “if you want to go you should, just don’t let the elders find out” (https://mobile.twitter.com/IGD_News/status/878470878656253952 | 2017)
– Proud Boys Magazine misinterpreted Gavin’s “told me to DISAVOW” statement in an article titled Gavin McInnes: Virginia Unite the Right Rally DISAVOWED. (PB Magazine via http://archive.is/mwvOx | 21 June 2017)
– Gavin responded on the Proud Boys Facebook,writing: “You put “disavow” in the title? What are we, fags? Take it down [Jason Kessler, the organizer] is [a Proud Boy] and deserves a much more diplomatic response.” (https://mobile.twitter.com/IGD_News/status/878470878656253952 | 2017) (Jason Kessler PB initiation video)
– A few hours later, the word “DISAVOW” was removed from the title and was replaced with “OFFICIAL STATEMENT.” The article concluded, “if a chapter or an individual Proud Boy feels compelled to go, we encourage him to do so.” (http://archive.is/FcPxw | 21 June 2017)
– Gavin tweeted at the Virginia Proud Boys saying, “If you are a [Virginia Proud Boy] who is [Alt-Right], you’re not a [Virginia Proud Boy],” but Kessler didn’t seem to care. (https://mobile.twitter.com/TheMadDimension/status/887702979339571200 | July 18 – 19 2017)
– Jason Kessler, in private chats leading up to Charlottesville urged people to “help bait antifa into attacking the Proud Boys,” knowing that in order for a Proud Boy to earn a 4th degree, he has to engage in violence with an antifa. (https://www.revealnews.org/article/in-chat-rooms-unite-the-right-organizers-planned-to-obscure-their-racism/ | 2017)
– Proud Boys were listed as “FRIENDLIES” in a document circulated by rally organizers. The document also stated some Proud Boys “are coming to the event as opposition in unknown numbers with unknown intentions.” (https://www.unicornriot.ninja/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/OpOrd3_General.pdf | Aug 10 2017)
– Jason Kessler tweets “#ProudBoys and #AltRight headed to downtown #Charlottesville,” which has since been deleted (http://wina-am.sagacom.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/46/files/2017/06/Proud-Boys-and-Kessler-061817.jpg | via ThinkProgress)