The main concept of refrigeration
How do you define ‘cool’? The words ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ are relative terms. The absence of ‘heat’ is ‘cool’. A fridge works on this simple principle. It absorbs the heat from the items kept inside the refrigerator thereby cooling them.
The technical aspects of refrigeration: The refrigerator works on the basis of three technical aspects, compression, condensation, and evaporation. The detail of the technical aspects of refrigeration is not required at this point in time. However, you can find the same here.
Normally, you find two distinct compartments inside the present-day refrigerator. The refrigerator compartment is the one where you find the temperature at around 3 to 5 degrees above the freezing point of water. The freezer box is the compartment where the temperature is maintained below the freezing point of water. Let us look at the different types of refrigerators available in the market. This will enable you to make a concrete decision.
The BEE Star rating system
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) rates the efficiency of the refrigerators based on the electricity consumption. The ratings are in the form of stars with a 5-star rating being the most efficient. However, you should note that these ratings are available for the single door and the frost-free refrigerators alone. Investing in a 5-star refrigerator can be expensive initially but they are economical over a period because of the regular savings in electricity. The inverter models are also very effective.
Tips to Select the Best Refrigerator
1. Choose your refrigerator according to your eating habits. Vegetarians should concentrate on having more space in the fridge rather than the freezer. The 80:20 is the perfect ratio. Non-vegetarians need more space in the freezer. Hence, it is advisable if they opt for the 70:30 ratios.
2. Opting for a 5-star refrigerator is beneficial in the long run. It may appear expensive initially but you end up saving a lot of money by way of savings in your power consumption. In addition, they are environmentally friendlier.
3. Avoid stuffing your refrigerator with food items more than the capacity of the machine. It has a negative influence on the efficiency. At the same time, keep it empty is also not advisable. Go for the optimum size. A smaller family can do with a smaller refrigerator. Instead of using it as a status symbol, opt for better utility.
4. The frost-free refrigerator is always beneficial. They can cost more and consume a bit more electricity as well. However, they make up by saving your time and labor in attending to the frost. Accumulation of frost can damage the condenser and evaporator coils thereby increasing the load on the compressor unit.
5. Nowadays, you have refrigerators coming with a built-in stabilizer. It is better to go for such models especially in areas that experience frequent fluctuations in voltage.
6. After all, you put your hard-earned money into buying this essential machine for your house. A little bit of caution in the initial stages can save you a lot of money. This is what everyone is looking for.
Your hard earned money is at stake. Hence, it is advisable to make a correct choice.
Originally published at www.kitchenarena.in on January 23, 2018.