Are you thinking about buying a Volkswagen? These expertly engineered vehicles are both practical and fun to drive. And even though towing isn’t the first thing that usually comes to mind when you think of Volkswagen, some of the brand’s models have impressive towing power. What kind of things can you tow with a Volkswagen?
Things to Tow with a Passat
Even though the Passat is a sedan, it is capable of towing up to 1,000 pounds. With a Passat, you could tow any of the following items:
- A grand piano. A grand piano typically weighs just about 1,000 pounds. The musicians in your family will be pleased with your Passat!
- A horse. This depends on the breed. Some horses weigh only 900 pounds or so.
- An ATV. These off-road vehicles might weigh around 500 pounds. Make sure you have a lightweight trailer so your Passat can handle the load.
Things to Tow with a Jetta Sportwagen or a Tiguan
While the Jetta sedan isn’t really suited for towing, the Jetta Sportwagen can haul up to 2,000 pounds. The Tiguan can handle as much as 2,200 pounds. What are some items that you could tow behind either of these power-packed vehicles?
- A bear. Grizzlies, brown bears, and polar bears usually weigh around one ton. While you might not ever have a reason to take a bear anywhere, it’s nice to know that you could.
- A motorcycle or two — or more. A heavy-duty motorcycle typically weighs just a few hundred pounds.
- A boat — maybe. Most boats, combined with their trailers, will exceed the towing capacity of both the Jetta Sportwagen and the Tiguan. Still, if your boat is on the small side, it might be possible.
Things to Tow with a Routan
Volkswagen no longer manufactures its minivan model, but you might be able to find a used Routan that fits your family’s needs. The Routan has a towing capacity of 3,600 pounds, meaning that it could conceivably handle any of the following items:
- A boat and trailer. You’ll have to check the weight of your boat and trailer, but the Routan could probably handle it as long as you’re not towing a cruise ship or anything close to it.
- A loaded small U-Haul trailer. U-Haul’s smallest trailer, which is four feet by eight feet, weights a maximum of 2,500 pounds when it’s full. That’s plenty of capacity to move your kids into their college dorms!
- A small car. This depends on the specific car, of course. Still, it’s nice to know that if your spouse gets stranded on the road, you might be able to come to the rescue.
Things to Tow with a Touareg
The Touareg SUV is the king of Volkswagens when it comes to towing. It can handle more than 7,000 pounds, meaning that you could haul:
- The largest U-Haul trailer. Loaded to the max, the largest available U-Haul trailer weighs 4,400 pounds.
- Two giraffes. A full-grown giraffe weighs about 3,500 pounds. Sure, you might have some height clearance issues, but your Touareg could totally handle the weight.
Volkswagen models include a vehicle for every sort of towing need and wish. Why not go shopping for your new VW today?
via Volkswagen of South Charlotte Blog http://ift.tt/1PZTLWv